Say "Hello" thread

I’m Vitaly. Linux Guru. Usually I spend my time in system programming.

1 Like

Hello, I’m Nicola 46 years old. I meet Gnu/Linux in '90s and broke proprietary software’s chains in 2001. I’m a GTK and Gnome fan, I wrote some little softwares for GNOME desktop that were released as free software. I worked on almost all Linux 's distros and contribuited to first Finmeccanica’s Linux distro (Finx).

2 Likes

I got an invite.
What more can I say?
I was born in 1988. I like Computers. I like GNOME. I used to study CS at university, but quit.

I don’t know why @nmcgovern sent me an invite, but I accepted it.

I used to hang out on the Google+ community and chatted with people about everything.

I have no connection with any project, though.

1 Like

Invite was automatic it seems to me. https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2019-March/msg00024.html

Ah, I see!

That explains it. Now we just need a GTK+ section on here too… (Or not?).

There is one… Platform/core :slight_smile:

Hola,

I’m Carlos Soriano, 29 years old. I started using Linux in 2012 around GNOME 3.4, a bit later than some people here. Although I’m glad to have come “late” to the party, it helps me to have a fresh mindset for the things I do for the project.

I started my contributions with the Ubuntu brainstorm website, where everyone could provide its own ideas for improvements. That thing was amazing! After some contributions there I saw Allan Day’s mockups for GNOME Shell and I wanted to make that a reality, so I got involved in GNOME Shell. Created a Shell extension and contributed to GNOME Shell itself in Allan’s “Every detail matters” initiative. Allan proposed me to join GSoC, and after doing a successful project with my beloved mentor Florian Mullner I joined Red Hat as Nautilus maintainer.

Since then I got involved in a few GNOME-wide things and became board director. I’m specially proud of the newcomers initiative, since it was the first goal I put myself when I joined GNOME in 2012. 4 years later I’m confident that we achieved it.

I’m proud of being part of this community, despite the project size and age we have evolved the ecosystem and adapted to the changing world of software as no other community has done, and we will continue doing so :smile:

Hope to see you all in GUADEC

15 Likes

Hi,
I am Pavlo. Started using GNOME/Linux back to 2004 as necessity for my graduate work and since that time we are together. Tried many desktop environments but still use GNOME on Debian. My focus is C/C++ and SQL. I am actively involved into libgda project. Feel free to join. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

i am Thomas. excited Gnome user since 2009.
I am a self-employeed web-frontend developer.
My daily work is completely done inside Gnome.

Thanks for that!

3 Likes

Hello,

I’ve been interested in Gnome and related projects like Gtk+ for some time. I’ve been using Linux and free software since roughly 1999. I worked at Red Hat for a time and have done work for Open Source projects in the past. I now work for a commercial company that uses Open Source software (nothing Gnome related unfortunately) and it is always interesting to see how things are progressing in the Open Source world.

I hope this new medium/discourse will lead to more community engagement and contributions to the Gnome project. I guess time will tell. Good luck.

2 Likes

Hi there, I’m Ondrej from Czech Republic. I’m user/admin/programmer. I’m with Linux and BSD since 1999. I was switch to GNOME long time ago, and I’m one of satisfied user of GNOME Shell :-).

I’m mainly C/C++, Python and Vala programmer. I’m author of Mind Map Architect and Formiko editor. I use Debian Linux, where i wont be maintainer and I was maintained some packages in WIP on NetBSD PkgSrc. But the time is against me :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi, i’m Ivan, gnome user since Ubuntu 7.04.
I’ve done some GTK programs and shell extensions to understand how it works, i love gnome for its simplicity and ergonomics, thanks for everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I’m Zeeshan and I’m old enough. :slight_smile: Been involved with GNOME for more than a decade. While most code I’ve written is in C, I was a big proponent of Vala until some years ago when I bumped into Rust. I worked on GNOME tech for years as my job, having worked on GUPnP, Rygel and Boxes etc but recently my work has been on cloud-infra stuff. I still maintain Geoclue in my spare time.

7 Likes

Hey All. I’m Lance Capser, 48 years old, living and working in the US. I’ve been involved with Gtk and GNOME since the mid 1990’s. I’ve built a number of utilities and tools in C and in Python for Gtk2 and Gtk3 on Linux and Windows (and even toyed a little w/ MacOS), both in my “real” job and for a handful of private projects. Love GTK and Glade (since libglade and the earliest versions!) and still work to promote Gtk to colleagues and teammates.

Glad to see the forums have been migrated to a modern platform and am encouraged to see more new and younger members of this community!

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m Ryan Gonzalez, age 18 and just in college. I’ve been in the GNOME ecosystem for a few months now, as well as Fedora (not sure if anyone here is from there as well). I’m a huge fan of GTK+ and also try and contribute to some of the GNOME apps I use (if you like Books’s night mode changing the actual pages, you’re welcome!).

I also really love Flatpak, having implemented the YAML syntax for flatpak-builder and have also created a few Flatpaks + contributed to the main project.

10 Likes

Thanks to you , dev of projects for gnome is really easy now. Really appreciate your efforts. Builder is a sweet beauty.

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,
I am Gaurav Agrawal , user of Gnome since 2015 , but started dev for gnome just 6-7 months ago. There is no other place like Gnome , you guys have done your all best to help us start in development , especially efforts like Builder by chergert is a real deal. I also want to appreciate Alberto Fanjul who is a great mentor and also a real nice developer. Without this great community I do not believe I would ever be able to use whatever I know for Open Source.

6 Likes

Hello,

I’m Frederik, 34 years old Java dev from :de: working @ IBM.
I use Linux since 2014 and started to contribute to ubuntu/yaru last year and now also a little bit to gnome design. I also try myself in building gtk apps with Glade & Vala lately :slight_smile:

4 Likes

HI,

I’m Adam, mostly self taught programmer doing web development for around 6 years now. Off and on linux user for years. Linux only for 6 months now. I have been dabbling in app dev using Vala/python and glade for a year now. Feeling oddly like a hipster for being not inerested in Rust for Application development.

Really fun to get bios on some of you I have seen and maybe talked to in irc.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I’m Dan, I’m 35 years old and currently live in Michigan. I have been using GNOME since the initial release, but just got involved in building apps in GTK with Python over the last couple of years in my spare time. We are putting the finishing touches on porting Gaphor which is a UML diagramming tool to PyGObject.

I am excited that the community is moving to discourse, I think this will be a great!

4 Likes