Say "Hello" thread

Hello,

I am Jordan, 19 years old, going by alatiera on irc and such. I work for Centricular, mostly on Gstreamer related things.

I started out by writing a toy project in Rust which ended up turning into the Podcasts app. Then at some point I got involved in Fractal and Librsvg since they were also in Rust and it was fun. Nowdays I maintain the GNOME Nightlies as well the Flatpak GNOME SDK.

12 Likes

Helo, I’m Sam. I became a GNOME user sometime around the time of GNOME 2.8 release, started trying to make stuff with GTK+, and I guess I just never stopped. (At the time I was used to programming on Windows, where the APIs seemed designed to cause suffering for anyone who tried to use them, so I was blown away by how nice GTK+ was to work with in comparison.) I worked for Codethink for a long while, I helped to put on GUADEC 2017 in Manchester, and now I work in Spain as an English language teacher; but I also do a bit of hacking here and there, mostly helping with the maintenance of Tracker.

7 Likes

Hi everybody!

I’m currently maintaining Geary (long time GNOME user, first time maintainer), and trying to finish my PhD in my spare time. If I’m not doing one of these two things I’m probably restoring some old vintage bicycle, trying to improve my guitar playing, listening to some shoegaze/psych rock/indie music, or protesting against our shitty conservative and liberal governments.

I live in Sydney, Eora nation, and this is why I’m never around on IRC when everyone else is. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Tobias, 25, Italian designer living in Berlin. I’ve been using GNOME full-time since about 2010, and contributing on the design team since 2017. I work at Purism, where my focus is on making GNOME adaptive for the upcoming Librem 5 phone. Over the past year I’ve also been involved with making the new icon style, and the new tooling around that (such as Icon Preview).

Outside of core GNOME things, I contribute to a number of apps, such as Fractal, Podcasts, Todo, Fragments, and Shortwave.

10 Likes

I’m Ray, 35 years old. You can find me on IRC as halfline. I’ve been using Linux/GNOME since 1998 or 1999, not sure (I think the first I tried was GNOME 0.52 or something like that, but might be misremembering).

I’ve worked on the desktop team at Red Hat on GNOME, RHEL and Fedora since June 2004.

I mostly work on the login screen and shell for GNOME, but have also written a few settings daemon plugins, and parts of gnome-online-accounts. and of course worked on slurry of now-defunct stuff like gnome-panel, metacity, gnome-screensaver etc…

Aside from GNOME stuff, I wrote plymouth (graphical boot splash) and maintain accountsservice. I was the second person to ever commit to the wayland project.

I also helped write parts of desktop-file-utils a billion years ago.

see ya on irc

8 Likes

OT but it seems to me that metacity, gnome-screensaver and gnome-panel are still alive in GNOME Flashback project.

Hello, finally a GNOME forum! I’m just a casual GNOME user and I cannot program. I immediately created new account here after reading Emmanuele Bassi announcement at mailing list. I like the new forum. Thank you for all GNOME hackers.

I’m Emmanuele. I’ve been using Linux for the past 20+ years, and I’ve been a full time GNOME user since version 2.0 (though I did try out GNOME 0.30 ages ago, before going back to WindowMaker :smile:). I started contributing to GNOME in 2003, mostly in the bindings area—first Python, then Perl—and ended up maintaining the GNOME Utilities after rewriting the Dictionary app, as well as working on GLib and GTK.

Thanks to GNOME I met a lot of incredible people, and I worked on various GNOME-based consumer platforms like Maemo, Moblin/MeeGo for netbooks, and Endless OS. I maintained Clutter, a toolkit for writing dynamic user interfaces, which the basis for the UI in GNOME Shell.

These days I’m lucky enough to be working for the GNOME Foundation on improving GTK.

I also produce a weekly-or-at-least-trying-to-be-so podcast on the history of the GNOME project.

17 Likes

dunno. I’m not involved in those efforts.

They are very much alive. Metacity and gnome-panel are indeed part of GNOME Flashback and the maintainer collaborates with us on MATE (since there is quite a bit of overlap between Flashback and MATE).

I am Shobha tyagi. I am using Linux and GNOME for the past 8 years and I was OPW GNOME documentation intern Dec 2013-14.

4 Likes

Happy to see GNOME using Discourse :slight_smile:

:heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

I’m John, 62 years old, former USN submariner and integrated circuit manufacturing manager.

I’ve been involved in Gtk development for about 11 years beginning with taking over maintenance of the MacOS build system gtk-osx, MacOS application bundler gtk-mac-bundler, and menu integration library gtk-mac-integration from Richard Hult. I’ve fixed quite a few bugs in the MacOS bits of Gtk over the years as well. I’m also a core developer on GnuCash and package Gramps for MacOS.

Other volunteer activities include construction work for my local Habitat for Humanity chapter and tech support for the California Genealogical Society.

11 Likes

Hello,
I am just a wine drinking lad in Portugal.
I love Linux, Ubuntu and GNOME besides good wine.
I created audio-recorder about 10 years ago.
https://launchpad.net/~audio-recorder

Obrigado
Osmo Moma Antero

2 Likes

I’m Dov Grobgeld, 52y old. I have been using gtk since it was born when Gimp switched from Motif to the gtk toolkit. My main contributions to the Gnome world have been to the fribidi library that I created in 1999, and to bidi behavior of gtk. I have created a number of free and proprietary applications in gtk in a mixture of C, C++, gob2, vala, perl and python. I’m still using my application giv on a daily basis for viewing combinations of images and vector graphics.

5 Likes

Hi all,
I am Joël and I am stuck with Gtk±2.0 using in my project. I miss Gnome2 but Mate seems to be an eligible replacement.

I hack on http://nongnu.org/gsequencer

Hi, I am Reuben Rissler, known as theGtknerd. I am 31 years older than nothing. I needed an accounting / business managment system for my privately owned business that manufactures Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs). I got started programming in Anjuta and I am gradually learning the ins and outs of Gtk as a side affect. My accounting system is called PyGtk Posting and I welcome help / feedback on Github.

2 Likes

Hi, I am Sasa Ostrouska , using linux since 1996 iirc, and I am 46 years old. I like gnome and keep pack it for Salckware Linux distro. I have no much time but still on it, see more on www.droplinegnome.org .

Rgds
Saxa

3 Likes

Hello, I’m Vilem Otte, 27 years old.

I’ve worked with Linux since I started playing with it about 10 years ago (and moved through various distros). I’m mainly a 3D graphics programmer, although I have worked with GTK+ in past, and still use it these days (on both - Linux and Windows OSs).

1 Like

Hello from You-Sheng Yang, aka vicamo.

Playing/working with Linux since senior high school. Mostly working on platform enablements. Nice to meet you.

1 Like