Icon view sizes in Nautilus 43

I can. Just make an AppImage after building nautilus. The following bash script works for me for Nautilus 43.1.

#!/usr/bin/bash -e
wget -c https://github.com/linuxdeploy/linuxdeploy/releases/download/continuous/linuxdeploy-x86_64.AppImage
chmod 755 ./linuxdeploy-x86_64.AppImage

meson setup build --prefix=/usr
meson install -C build --destdir=AppDir

glib-compile-schemas ./build/AppDir/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
gtk4-update-icon-cache -q -t -f ./build/AppDir/usr/share/icons/hicolor
update-desktop-database -q ./build/AppDir/usr/share/applications

mkdir -p ./build/AppDir
echo -n '#!/usr/bin/bash
export AppDir=$(dirname "$(realpath "$0")")
export PATH="${AppDir}/usr/bin:${PATH}"
export XDG_DATA_DIRS="${AppDir}/usr/share:${XDG_DATA_DIRS:-/usr/local/share:/usr/share}"
export TEXTDOMAINDIR="${AppDir}"/usr/share/locale:"${TEXTDOMAINDIR:-/usr/share/locale}"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${AppDir}"/usr/lib:"${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:-/usr/lib}"
export GI_TYPELIB_PATH="${AppDir}"/usr/lib/girepository-1.0
nautilus "$@"
' > ./build/AppDir/AppRun
chmod 755 ./build/AppDir/AppRun

./linuxdeploy-x86_64.AppImage \
  --appdir=build/AppDir \
  -o appimage \
  --desktop-file=build/AppDir/usr/share/applications/org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop

Note: The AppImage built with this script will work only on the machine where it was built.

I just want to put this out here because I feel it’s important to be able to see what I’m seeing in terms of icon sizes and why we need the medium size returned. Following is a set of screenshots. The first two using OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and Gnome 43, the last using Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Gnome 40. All using the Papirus icon set and the last using adw-gtk3 theme in order to try and eliminate potential difference issues. The first screenshot is using the “small” icon ize, the second the “large” icon size, and the third using the “medium” icon size no longer available.

2 Likes

Okay, I think the discussion is constantly circling back to precisely the same arguments, and it’s just not useful any more, except for venting.

The issue is being worked on for GNOME 44 alongside more changes to the icon view:

And if the changes aren’t reading in time for GNOME 44, they’ll be delayed to GNOME 45, and so on, and so forth. Such is the cycle of every GNOME application.

Thanks everyone for your feedback: it’s been very helpful, and it has been taken into consideration for future changes.

3 Likes