Grid view mockups and experiments

@jdnightwalker, @Forage, @koroki, @Trisave:

Could you take a look at grids and folder previews if that can potentially solve some of your issues? Thanks!

Full file names being showed on hover sounds really good!

I fail to see the relation between our issue and the mock-ups you are linking to.
It’s about thumbnail generation, label behaviour and folder content indications. Nothing about icon sizes, except the number of sizes.

In the folder preview mockup you have an example. This appears to represent the smallest icon size. You talked about their size relative to the surrounding interface. With this mockup, you also have smaller icon sizes displayed in the folder preview. You can comment if you like the icon size shown or prefer the icon size in the folder preview.

@jdnightwalker, @Forage, @koroki, @Trisave

Another interesting mockup: rich grid view

1 Like

The discussion about alternative designs should better be held separate I think.

What you linked to shows a thumbnail size somewhere between current medium and large. And the embedded folder preview thumbnails are smaller than current small. This topic is about users wanting an intermediate size between small and medium. I don’t think these designs help for that.

1 Like

I misunderstood some comments (about the smaller icons).

However, the problem, if I understood correctly from reading part of the comments, doesn’t just seem to have a size somewhere between small and medium. It’s about having a good presentation. The mockups I linked are not offered as a solution but as a visual aid to find out what people like about them, what part of them they perceive as part of the solution. It’s not about liking or disliking these mockups as a whole. Also, these mockups show what the future grid view (except the rich grid view) may be at the smallest icon size (the size that looks like to be presented). Discussing future design for solving issues seems better than hoping for something that might not happen in Files 43.

Now, if people really think that these mockups don’t help to move forward with the issues reported here, then let’s stop this topic here, and I’ll let them open another topic on the subject if they want to discuss their issues.

@Mikenux It’s the other way around. You are changing the subject with the mock-ups. The discussion of this topic is clear. So if you want to discuss mock-ups of an unrelated subject it would be more appropriate for you to open a new topic.

I’ve moved this discussion to a new topic, for clarity.

I clearly stated why it is linked to the issues. If you don’t want to understand… you don’t want to understand.

Again, I clearly stated this:

For clarity, why not. However, by doing this, you created another topic that I didn’t want in my name…

I understand very well, but it is a different subject nevertheless.

This can be interpreted in different ways, stop the initial subject of this topic or your introduced subject, and apparently I did so in the way you did not intend.

Again, you still do not want to understand because you think your interpretation of what I said is the right one despite my clarification.

“Them” is a pronoun that is referring to other people, not to me. Again, you interpreted what I wrote in your own way. Moreover, you completely dismiss what I replied by saying that my comment can be interpreted in different ways.

I didn’t create this topic which has a completely misleading title (which represents your interpretation), even though the original topic is linked and the first post talks about the correct issue (but that has nothing to do with the title).

I did not say that nor do I think that. That’s your interpretation.
Your clarification made apparent that you meant to say something else than what could be interpreted as well. I only pointed out to you that two views were possible. Either way the issue has been resolved now.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Icon view sizes in Nautilus 43

@ebassi: Could you please “delete” this topic or at least indicate that it’s not a topic I started? This was done by selective interpretation. Thanks!

Nobody really cares that you “started” a topic. This discussion was completely unrelated to the topic of the icon view sizes in Nautilus, and was just derailing the other topic; I moved all the replies to your message related to mockups to a separate thread for that reason.

You’re entirely free to continue discussing separate mockups and behaviours for Nautilus’s icon view here; or discuss the sizes on the original topic.

Although I asked questions in order to understand icon size issues in Nautilus (in the first post of this thread, separated from another), I am no longer available for this.

@ebassi can you be so kind to link to the Gitlab issue/s for “is being worked on for GNOME 44 alongside more changes to the icon view” in your last post on the icon size topic?

Separately from this, having in my mind that I asked in that topic if some polls were made for this change and don’t think got an official response, what do you and what does the GNOME team think about UX changes? Are they to be decided apparently by one person (in this case in year 2014(!) from what I could tell here - https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=737189) and followed throughout, or can they be challenged? Can polls be made here to gauge the user base sentiment?

You surely saw, granted, from a small sample size, that the sentiment isn’t so positive, and I’m glad some changes are coming with a next major release.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.