Why does GNOME Lock Screen require you to click or press a key before typing password or scan a fingerprint? And is there any way I can disable it?

Yes, at least that was the state of things last time I checked.

1 Like

True that it could be factored, to make less code but also to make UI more uniform.

Seeing User prompt on lock screen, I guess it could be done with replacing the process which is part of the user session with sth similar to “Switch user”.
I guess it would be easier when login screen will be able to remember the last user used, so this part will be “ready to use”.

BTW, are there tags for lock / login screens ?

Except if the password begins with a space. AFAIK, passwords are able to begin with a space.
Why is this exception, and are there other allowed characters within this exception ?

Well, why tells the screen “with the big clock in the middle” that you do need it ?
IMHO it’s an ergonomics issue here, don’t you think ?
It seems to me that as soon as the user does anything (wakes up a suspended computer, moves the mouse, …) it should show the screen where the password is entered.

I have a related problem:
When the screen is suspended but not still locked, when I hit a key, it is right away passed to the 1st app, in the same time it wakes up the screen.
Should I make a new Topic for this problem?

Lost in the conversation so far is the case when I shouldn’t need to type at all because some other style of authentication has been set up. The topic title mentions fingerprint which is a good example; I can get in with my yubikey. Why is another input action required before the actual authentication?

–
Ian

it would be cool if it would be implemented, but only if, and only if, there’s nothing to do for now. I personally don’t mind pressing enter before typing my password but it would be really convenient.

Could you help me to find where it’s registered in gitlab.gnome.org please ? :slight_smile:

1 Like