Open Source means customization

I saw this: Dog"barking" error message sound?!?

Let me resume: a guy is unable to change sound alert, then devs deleted the sound instead of change default one…In this way, you are literally pushing people to use KDE.

Objectively, it makes no sense.

Open Source means even customization, the vision which suggest that I could choose almost every setting (alert sound in this case) I want, devs should only set default things (for that reason Unity was a not-so-good piece of software).

GNOME 43 still miss a lot of things, like accent color, like gradients…things that should be “core”, some distro are making by themselves

The guy was new, I use linux from 1998, I know what I’m saying, trust me

Feel free to use KDE, and contribute to it. Every free and open source project needs contributors, and if GNOME does not fit your bill, then you’re absolutely encouraged to find another project that does.

No, it really does not.

Free and open source software means you have these four fundamental freedoms:

• The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
  • The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
  • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).
  • he freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

Nowhere is mandated that free and open source software must be customisable. Customisation is something
that some maintainers may provide on top, to allow non-developers to modify the behaviour of the project; it is not a given.

In general, for GNOME, you want to read one of the seminal pieces of philosophical and technical underpinning of the project: Choosing our Preferences

That’s entirely true! I expect you are going to contribute to the GNOME project, then, in order to make things happen faster.

You shouldn’t try to “pull rank” (or appeal to authority), here. It’s pointless, as many of the GNOME core contributors have been using Linux for just as long, if not longer than you; and it makes your arguments look weaker.

3 Likes

I’m not pulling anything, just short-introduced myself, I think you are not right, you just have your opinion, like I have mine, but it doesn’t really matters.

Please don’t misunderstand my words, I take it for granted if someone develops something, maybe they want people use that software.

If for a problem of a newbie user, you delete an asset, like in this case, when the most logic way to solve that issue was switching the default setting, people that was using that asset, get a bad experience in the use of your software and feel disappointed, obviously.

You are free to do anything you want, but if you care people, you have to listen people (in a better way I mean), feel free to not listen to me, look around, read comments about this (ex: GNOME Devs Help User Solve "Barking Laptop" Problem - OMG! Ubuntu!), just think about what you’ll find, I don’t want nor need an answer.

Peace