Not receiving new mail

Sometimes after I have Geary open for a while, it stops receiving new mail from my IMAP server. The only way I can get it to refresh and show me my new mail is my ending the Geary process, and then opening it again. It would be nice to have some way to manually refresh your inbox, as Geary’s automatic refresh seems pretty flaky.

Hi, which version of Geary are you running and on which distro and version? Was it installed via Flatpak, as a package or from source?

Adding a “Check Mail Now” button here wouldn’t help - the same thing that stops the automatic process from noticing new mail would also stop the manual button from working.

Thanks for the reply, I’m running Geary 40 on Fedora as an official package

Can you be a bit more specific about the version? Fedora had the alpha packaged for a while. What version number is listed under About from the app menu?

All it says is 40, nothing more

Type Alt+Shift+I shortcut to open the inspector, click on System tab, then on Copy to clipboard icon and paste it here.

I have:

Geary version: 40.0  
Geary revision:   
GTK version: 3.24.28  
GLib version: 2.68.1  
WebKitGTK version: 2.32.0  
Desktop environment: GNOME  
Distribution name: GNOME  
Distribution release: 40 (Flatpak runtime)  
Installation prefix: /app  

PS @mjog Alt+Shift+I might be included in the Keyboard Shortcuts page (Application section).

Geary version: 40.0
Geary revision:
GTK version: 3.24.29
GLib version: 2.68.1
WebKitGTK version: 2.32.0
Desktop environment: GNOME
Distribution name: Fedora
Distribution release: 34 (Workstation Edition)
Installation prefix: /usr

I have the same problem apparently.

Geary versione: 40.0  
Geary revisione:   
GTK versione: 3.24.29  
GLib versione: 2.68.1  
WebKitGTK versione: 2.32.0  
Ambiente desktop: GNOME  
Nome della distribuzione: Fedora  
Rilascio della distribuzione: 34 (Thirty Four)  
Prefisso di installazione: /app  

(I’m still on Fedora 33 though).

Let me know if there are further details that could help understanding the issue. Thanks!

I have now removed the version I had installed (from the Fedora flatpak registry) and installed the Flathub version. Things work normally again and I can receive email.

Geary versione: 40.0  
Geary revisione:   
GTK versione: 3.24.29  
GLib versione: 2.68.1  
WebKitGTK versione: 2.32.0  
Ambiente desktop: GNOME  
Nome della distribuzione: GNOME  
Rilascio della distribuzione: 40 (Flatpak runtime)  
Prefisso di installazione: /app  

The version numbers seem to match those of @fedelibre above. Perhaps the problem is that the Fedora flatpak registry is already updated for Fedora 34 but I’m still on Fedora 33.

It may be also a bug in the app distributed by Fedora registry. I had problems with other apps in the past and I always disable it and use only Flathub instead.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.