Nautilus should remember view (list or icon) for each directory or certain directories

Currently the View toggle is global. But I propose that view mode setting should be persistent for each directory again.
The problem is when a user wants to always view some directories by list (example: ~/Projects/src) and others by icons (example: ~/Pictures). When going from one directory to another, in such a context, the user must always click the toggle again to get the desired view back. Doing something again and again isn’t productive. There is a closed bug report on Gitlab.

Fix suggestion on Gitlab : To fix this, the chosen view is saved in a “.directory” file complying with the FreeDesktop specification. The new code is isolated as much as possible (at the end of the file) and is designed like an independent unit with an API. Only 2 functions make use of the API. This fix supports / as well as Recent, Starred, Trash, Etc. The compilation and execution generate no warnings.

A similar topic was opened but closed a while ago. Others are interested to have this “old” feature of Nautilus back.
As this is the crucial feature I am waiting for to be able to return to Nautilus, I open it again in the hope that somebody will be able to contribute or help with this issue. Thanks in advance!

There’s really no need to open a new topic: all the discussion should go in the issue tracker.

Thank you, @ebassi, for responding to my post! I am more than happy to find a better way to further the discussion or find somebody who can help with this.
I was told: “Instead, when meaning to start an open discussion, I suggest http://discourse.gnome.org.” and not to ask for an update in the (closed) issue tracker. I understand that the developers can be bothered by this. That is why I hoped somebody with skills and knowledge could be on this discourse page and this person(s) could help or contribute towards a solution.

Or do you think of another issue tracker? I am happy to start a discussion somewhere else but don’t want to annoy anybody.
Thanks again!

You already opened a topic about this. There was no engagement from the maintainer, so I’m not entirely sure what kind of discussion you want to have.

I’d recommend joining the #gnome-design channel on Matrix or IRC, and discuss with the design team; you can also join the nautilus channel on Matrix or IRC, and discuss with the Nautilus maintainer.

I have engaged more than enough.

I’ve explained this person that bumping the same topic repeatedly and linking back to past discussions is not a useful contribution and is perceived as nagging. Yet, they keep doing it.

The “fix suggestion” linked above was a low quality code drop whose author was banned as a troll. There is no good reason to keep bringing it back.

I’ve explained more than once that this is a UX design decision.

If this feature is important enough for you, you can use Nemo instead of Nautilus.

There are several ways to do so. You can take a Linux distribution that uses the Cinnamon desktop (and there are many of this kind, not only the Mint family).

Or, you can try to replace Nautilus by Nemo. There are many pages where this method is discussed and described (search keywords: Nautilus Nemo file manager replace). The latter method is of course risky.

Thank you very much for responding to my query! I hope that somebody with knowledge will read this and will be able to contribute or help with this issue, e.g. with coding or doable design.

If this would be appreciated, I am happy to make this effort although I have not used Matrix or IRC yet.

Thank you, @antoniof, for this! As written in our conversation, I appreciated it very much. And I am glad that that this issue remains in the back of your mind as something that could be tried to improve.

I took your message seriously and apologised for irritating you as this was not my intention. I followed your advice to open a discourse discussion. And I have not written anything anymore in the bug reports. Again I did not want to disturb you but look for people who could help.

Is there any hope for such a UX design decision? Can anybody contribute?
As you are already listening, has there been any progress on the part you mentioned? “There is an inconsistency between the view option, the sorting options, and visible columns options. The later two are saved per-directory. So, when we get around to fix that inconsistency, we will be able to improve the 3 things at once! See #1703

Thank you very much for working on Nautilus! I really like some of the improvements and that is one reason why I would be happy to use Nautilus again and try to mobilise help. But if this is annoying I will stop doing it as it is not my intention to irritate anybody, especially not the maintainer!

Thank you, @emergenz, very much for your post and suggestions! This help somebody else, too.

That is what I do for years now :blush:. But some of the extension for other apps don’t work well or at all with Nemo and Nautilus has added some improvement over the years. That is why I still hope the legendary feature of remembering the view could come back.

I prefer not to use Cinnamon desktop.

That is what I do and it works most of the time without problems.

@SevenSystems & @santiago Did you find a solution or workaround for this Nautilus problem?

@SevenSystems Is it possible for a non-programmer to use your patch you mentioned on Jan 3?

Sorry, this issue has disappeared from my radar as I’ve instead developed my own file manager (yes I know…)

As to how to use the patch: It’s unfortunately not trivial. You will have to make your system ready for development (install gcc, make and all the other tools), get the Nautilus source code (better if it’s the version that I used for the patch, otherwise it might not be compatible anymore), apply it using the ‘patch’ command, compile Nautilus, and then it should work. But it’s definitely not a one-click operation. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your response!

Wow, your own file manager! Impressive!

I wish I had the skills and time to patch Nautilus myself … :upside_down_face:

@antoniof Thank you for reading this! If you time, I am happy to to read your answers to these questions:
Is there any hope for such a UX design decision? Can anybody contribute?
As you are already listening, has there been any progress on the part you mentioned? “There is an inconsistency between the view option, the sorting options, and visible columns options. The later two are saved per-directory. So, when we get around to fix that inconsistency, we will be able to improve the 3 things at once! See #1703
If you would be too busy, you can just ignore it. Thank you for working on Nautilus.

No news is usually good news, but I am not sure that your silence (no response) is a good sign. I guess you are busy and there is nothing more to say (which is not encouraging).
But I hope you understand my reasoning, intention and what I wrote. This thread is not to annoy anybody but to raise potential help.
If it is appreciated, as written before, I am happy to make the effort to join #gnome-design and/or #nautilus channel on Matrix or IRC, and discuss with the design team although I have not used Matrix or IRC yet.
Thanks again for listening and working on Nautilus!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.