We have now some answers to your questions:
Please check those below:
- Is there going to be a “hallway track”?
We are considering using this https://joeyh.name/code/virtual-hallway-track/ for this purpose, but its still something we are thinking of. If you know any other way we can make this happen, please let us know.
- How are BoFs / hackfests / lightning talks going to work?
This are going to work as usual. We will open a form this month to signup your workshop/Bof and will happen online on 26th and 27th of July.
- Has there been a choice on what will be used for video streaming? (Jitsi?) For chatrooms? (Matrix?)
We will use BigBlueButton https://bigbluebutton.org/
Our infra team is still working on the installation.
- Are talks going to be given live? Or pre-recorded with Q&As after? Or a mix?
Talks are going to be given online with Q&A after the talk.
- Are timeslots going to be the same? Or will get fit to content length?
Timeslots are 50 min and 25 (Q&A included)
- Is there going to be one main track or multiple concurrent tracks?
There are going to be 2 parallel tracks
- How will pants work this year?
It will be the same voting process as previous years and will be announced during AGM meeting.
- Will sponsored travel money be reallocated? (Perhaps buy and send presenters some higher quality microphones and webcams, for example, to improve everyone’s conference experience? There are probably other great ideas around this topic too.)
Unfortunately we won’t be able to allocate those funds for microphones or webcams as we would need to pay for other services.
- How will accessibility needs be met, especially concerning transcripts? Are people going to provide closed-captioning? Will there be specific chatrooms dedicated to someone typing what’s said?
We will have live captioning during the conference for all the tracks and all the talks from 22nd-25th. The company that will provide this service will share later with us all the other details.
- GNOME releases have been named after the places where conferences have recently taken place. What are we going to call the upcoming GNOME release tied to this GUADEC?
- Internet, Online, Earth, Terra, Global, Virtual, … uh … Cyberspace ?
- Hopefully not “Jitsi”, “Bluejeans”, “WebEx”, or whatever software we use.
- We probably don’t want to call it something like “Conference Video” (“covid” for short )
This is a very interesting question. Unfortunately we still haven’t decided on the name. We will see if we can come up with any interesting name
- Will future GUADECs become a hybrid conference, with a mix of what we experience with this one and a physical location? (I’m sure this is a relevant question for all the conferences that have been and are moving to online-only this year.)
Unfortunately, I don’t have any valuable answer for you on in this moment, we are still not sure how this whole situation will shape our future conferences, but what I believe is that there will be some footprints which we will carry for a long time in other editions.
I hope my answers were helpful to you.
Please do not hesitate to reach me out for any further questions.