Gspell - release a new stable version soon?

Hi release team!

I’m slowly back, first with gspell, see this thread:

The last version of gspell is the 1.9.1 (so an unstable one), released in October 2020.

Would it be a good idea to finally release the 1.10.0 version, soon? For example for GNOME 42.1 or 42.2? Or is it better to wait GNOME 43.0?

In any case, there are no big plans for gspell this development cycle.

Between 1.8 and 1.10, the big change is the switch from iso-codes to ICU to get the language names. Ideally I wanted to give distributions a choice between the two at compile time, but it requires a little more work.

What do you think?

In any case, I don’t want to rush things, and I see that some distros have already picked the 1.9.1 version.

Thanks,
Sébastien

You can go ahead and release 1.10.0 now. There’s no need to wait.

iso-codes and ICU are both widely-available, so I’m not sure why it’s beneficial to allow distros to choose one or the other? I would just pick one, to avoid having two separate sets of bugs depending on which build option you choose.

Alright, I will prepare a release soon, then.

iso-codes or ICU is to have a smaller package size on certain platforms, depending with which other components it is built. I switched gspell to ICU because Tepl uses the ICU too, to drop the iso-codes dep for gedit on Windows.

I would just pick one, to avoid having two separate sets of bugs depending on which build option you choose.

Yes, definitely, I agree. And I see that ICU is part of the GNOME SDK, so no problem :wink:

(Also, using the ICU results to less code in gspell).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.