GNOME 43.4 Released

Hi,

GNOME 43.4 is now available. This is a stable bugfix release for GNOME 43. All operating systems shipping GNOME 43 are encouraged to upgrade.

GNOME 43.4 is designed to be a very boring bugfix update for GNOME 43, so it should be a safe and uneventful upgrade from earlier versions of GNOME 43.

2 Likes

NEWS file lists no changes to modules.

And I’ve noticed the entire 43 series, “rc” modules are being shipped in place of the final releases… why?

Not to mention it doesn’t have the latest evolution-data-server, gnome-control-center, vte, (among other) updates… by the time the next revision comes, those updates will be old news, and everyone is shipping them anyway. It just seems there is no coordination here.

Is there any particular reason why these releases are just a complete mess? I used to pull the folder to do builds for packaging, but I can’t for the life of me understand why 4 releases in, none of this has been addressed or anything. Is this automated? Are the final tarballs bad or something?

I’m confused by your comment because most of what you write is not true. Are you looking at a different release? Because your comments don’t really apply to this 43.4 release:

• There are lots of changes in the NEWS file. Are you looking at a different NEWS file?
  • The only “rc” module left is gnome-backgrounds, which is not OK. It should have a .0 release. I’ll look into that now. There are no other “rc” modules.
  • I see it has evolution-data-server 3.46.4, the latest 3.46 version, gnome-control-center 43.4.1, the latest 43 version, and vte 0.70.2, which was the latest vte version uploaded to download.gnome.org before the tarball deadline for GNOME 43.4.

vte in particular is problematic because the git tags are created just before the tarball deadline, then the tarballs get created and uploaded some days later (if at all). We do not release git tags, only tarballs, and the vte 0.70.3 tarball was not uploaded until today. To get the latest vte included, the tarballs need to be released sooner.

So this 43.4 release looks good to me.

Heh, the gnome-backgrounds problem turned out to be a bug with the version number.

Hi,

There was an issue with the script that generates the NEWS file. Its fixed now. The tarballs/artifacts/checksums have stayed the same as yesterday and only the NEWS file should be different.

1 Like

Are BuildStream snapshots for Ubuntu supported/recommended or should I look to distro packages?

I am looking to test new features.

And, by the way, does GNOME (the desktop, not the apps) have a “Generic Flatpak” deployment?

If you want to try out GNOME, the recommendation is to use GNOME OS in a VM, like Boxes.

The desktop cannot be placed in a Flatpak, if that’s what you’re asking.

So I’m on my own compiling (BuildStream on Ubuntu)? If I like it, though, I have to wait for the distro?

So (most) of the apps, but not stuff like gdm and [what else?]
I am interested in why (or what as above)…

Building all of GNOME on an old distro is a lot of effort. Generally yes you should wait for Ubuntu to do it.

Flatpak is a sandbox and cannot replace any system level components.

Even on Fedora? :wink:

Does Gnome Boxes do something special then?
I thought it was just that nobody coded/asked for it yet.

It is a virtual machine. It launches an entire OS.

No No No.

I mean the is a Gnome Boxes flatpak. I ran it. It works.
It seems the same thing could be done for system services.

Just a thought.

Gnome doesn’t have a desktop.

Boxes is an application, not a system service. The two are completely different.

Flatpak is for applications: things that run with low privileges, and contact other services. The Shell, system settings, and all the other parts of a desktop session are privileged components, and as such cannot be containerised or sandboxed.

GNOME is the desktop. It’s a desktop environment. That has nothing to do with whatever metaphor it does or does not implement.

1 Like

please add hide top bar exenstion , as inbuilt in gnome settings.It is very usefull for laptop users.but its buggy in wayland.

Many parts of three certainly could be — especially Settings, which shouldn’t need to run with elevated privileges itself. But Flatpak isn’t necessary the right tool for that.

Settings is very much an edge case: yes, it runs as your user, but it also needs to deal with global settings which are not proxied by the settings portal, and would require direct access to the user configuration. Settings also has to talk to a lot of system and session services, which would require opening a lot of holes in the sandbox.

In practice, anything that is core to the GNOME UX will be very hard to sandbox in any meaningful way.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.