A test topic so that the refugees from the Evolution mailing list can try and sort things out

@PeteB
I can’t quote a post I’m replying to here in the web gui. Only see a reply button on your post.
I find this makes it difficult to track who said what in response to which specific post.

I also feel Discourse is getting clunkier and clunkier to use, the more I wander around here.

Finally got some posts via email (they seem to be batched), so using
Reply to List in Evo to see what happens.

poc

The top left symbol of the reply editor - looks like a lasso, is supposed to be speech bubble - puts the quoted text in. But unless you want to fiddle around with the BBcode/HTML you can’t sensibly write in the middle of the quoted text. i.e. if you type in the middle of the quote /quote tags it looks like your text is part of the quote.

Thanks, there it is!
It’s well hidden, and not overly obvious…
As mentioned before, somewhat klunky - not impressed so far.

No need to, if Discourse sees the word evolution (case insensitive) it tags the topic accordingly, no need to worry around manual tagging yourself :slight_smile:

Ralf,

don’t use mailing list mode as it doesn’t behave the way you’d expect (you get notified about every single category unless you opt out / mute the categories you’re not interested in).

Please see Welcome to GIMP forum on GNOME Discourse and Welcome to Gnome discourse screen reader users to further read on how to properly configure your user profile / mail client.

Received by this refugee. John

How do I only get Evolution messages from Discourse? I seem to be getting unrelated topics. I set the ‘watch’ option
only on the evolution tag, and then set up the EMail options. Is there something I’ve missed?

How do I only get Evolution messages from Discourse? I seem to be getting unrelated topics. I set the ‘watch’ option
only on the evolution tag,

Do this.

and then set up the EMail options. Is there something I’ve missed?

It depends on what you mean by “set up the EMail options”. If you mean, you checked the “Mailing list mode” button in your “Emails” profile section, then don’t do that.

In my “Emails” section I have “Email me when I am sent a personal message” and “Email me when I am quoted,…” to “Always”, and disabled everything else in that section. I’m only getting Evolution-tagged emails.

The thing that really sucks is that there’s nothing in the email that allows me to filter it out locally into my local folders, like I did with the mailing list messages.

The thing that really sucks is that there’s nothing in the email that
allows me to filter it out locally into my local folders, like I did
with the mailing list messages.

Yes. The classifications are too granular to be really useful. To keep
the Discourse mails out of my mailbox I have sent up a filter on my
Exim server as:

if
$header_list-id: contains discourse.gnome.org
then
save Maildir/.GnomeDiscourse/
finish
endif

But what I would really like is if there is something in the mail which
lists the tags on the post.

P.

OK - I did have "mailing list mode " set. But I don’t follow the other options. I don’t just want posts that in some way
mention me. What i want is a list of ALL the posts that are tagged “evolution” whether I’m mentioned or not. How do
those settings give that?

How can I reply to the list and the author of an article, directly from my mail reader without having to connect to Discourse Gnome with my internet browser.
Thanks !

To get email notifications you need to go into Preferences → Notifications → Tags and set the Watched tags to Evolution.
Alternatively when you select the Evolution tag there should be a bell in the top right corner, click on that and select “Watch” (or whatever the phrase is).

If you want to see just the posts with Evolution tags on the website, on the home page, click on “All Tags” and type in “Evolution” and select the tag that comes up.

As the message says at the bottom, just reply to the message.
Evolution seems to recognise these messages as mailing list messages so
a simple ctrl-R should give you a dialogue box saying so and offering
the option to reply to the originator, everyone or the mailing list.

Mark

You can’t reply to an author - the email address of the author is never disclosed as far as I can see. You can direct message them - if they have allowed it, but I presume that’s not possible from email (and also might depend on your “trust level”).

You can reply to a post by just replying to the email you received.

As the message says at the bottom, just reply to the message.
Evolution seems to recognise these messages as mailing list messages
so
a simple ctrl-R should give you a dialogue box saying so and offering
the option to reply to the originator, everyone or the mailing list.

But that just not true. The message may look like it is from a mailing
list because it has some of the correct headers, but the only email
address on the message is a specific discourse email address. There is
no mention of the originator’s email address, or even discourse handle,
in the headers so Evolution can’t reply directly to them. All of the
options: privately, everyone, mailing list - all go to the same place.

P.

Pete,
Thanks - I have the tags set, and I now have the EMail to NOT be ‘Mailimng list mode’ (which seems counter intuitive to
me). But my head still can’t get round this. If the EMail setting is divorced from the tag/catgory, how does it work if
I watch multiple tags/categories but only want one or two as mail and the others I’m happy to go online for?
I can’t see you can configure this with the options being divorced. Isn’t how you want to see something down to what
you’re watching?

Thanks - I have the tags set, and I now have the EMail to NOT be
‘Mailimng list mode’ (which seems counter intuitive to
me). But my head still can’t get round this.

Apparently you can mute categories/tags in mailing list mode - which is
the opposite to everything else.

If the EMail setting is divorced from the tag/catgory, how does it
work if
I watch multiple tags/categories but only want one or two as mail and
the others I’m happy to go online for?

I don’t think you can: you get notifications for all the tags you are
watching, and you either get email notifications about them or you
don’t. I can’t see any granularity other than that.

I can’t see you can configure this with the options being divorced.
Isn’t how you want to see something down to what
you’re watching?

Yes, but the PTB consider that people should be engaging in the Gnome
community, I don’t think they can get their heads around people only
being interested in one tiny bit of it. I suspect they are confused
that the Evolution lot don’t want to know about desktop design.

P.

Thanks again Pete. It’s slightly annoying as I have been on a few of the Gnome lists - for things like Gimp, Evince,
Nautilus - but I don’t necessarily want all as mail, and I don’t want all online.

I’m not sure I get what you want to do.

Forget mailing list mode, that’s not useful unless you want to get
email for basically all messages posted to Discourse.

Set “Email me when I am quoted, replied to … or when there is new
activity in my WATCHED categories, TAGS or topics” to be “Always”
(emphasis added :)).

For tags you want to get email about, set them to “Watched” and you’ll
get email for every post with that tag.

For tags you don’t want email about, don’t add them as “Watched”. If
you want to check them out on the site, then when you go to the
Discourse website type in the tag that you want to look at and you’ll
see it on the website.