Why outdated year for copyright on all GNOME user software?

Hello,

see this report. The problem is why in Files and generally in all GNOME user software - current version: August 06, 2020 tested - use outdated year for copyright?

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/1573
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/1573#note_885373

1 Like

It’s quite easy to forget to update the technical copyright notices in code files (the first time you touch it…), and the same for the one in the About dialog. I think that’s the main reason while this text is usually not up-to-date.

By the way, as changing the string from the About dialog forces all translations to be updated (in all maintained branches), I’ve decided some time ago to switch it to _("Copyright \xc2\xa9 %u-%u – Arnaud Bonatti").printf (2016, 2020) as that allows updating the year without changing the string. Maybe other developers could do the same. :smiley:

2 Likes

Will that use localized digits? (it’s Vala right?)
In JS, you could do something like:
let years = [2016, 2020];
let message = _(“Copyright \xc2\xa9 %u-%u %s - %s”).format(years[0].toLocaleString(), years[1].toLocaleString());

It’s Vala, yes.

Will that use localized digits?

No, it won’t. I am (was?) under the impression that for noting years, arabic numerals are clear enough in any languages, and are notably better near a copyright sign. Maybe I’m wrong here… If so, I think there’s a gettext way to insert numbers in a string using localized numerals, but I don’t remember how that’s done exactly.

To answer the question in the subject: Most people consider this sort of thing pointless busywork.

Please, stop using “Copyright ©”. The “©” symbol already means “copyright”, so you’re literally writing “copyright copyright”.

You should only ever use “©” if you don’t have enough room to write “copyright”; otherwise just omit it.

Edited, to add: You don’t need to write the current year. It’s useless. Just add the year when the file was created or the application was written, and then ignore the rest.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.