Why don't email clients display link targets more prominently?

For me, the most important indicators of spam are:

• Name of the sender and whether the email address is appropriate
  • Hyperlinks of URLs

But why do hyperlinks usually only appear in a small font at the bottom right of the window when hovering over a link? Wouldn’t it be better if there was a more prominent overlay, maybe right below the link? Is this something evolution developers have considered and discarded for some reason? I’d be curious to know.

(Also, some mail clients don’t display the email address properly when there is a plain text alias, I find this infuriating.)

But why do hyperlinks usually only appear in a small font at the
bottom right of the window when hovering over a link?

Hi,

I suppose you talk about the status bar. What font it uses depends on
your system/desktop environment. It shows in sufficiently large font
here.

As the links are usually a thing in the HTML mails, the HTML code can
have set what tooltip is shown when hovering the mouse cursor above the
link for few seconds. When there is no predefined tooltip by the HTML
code, Evolution shows the URL as the tooltip.

(Also, some mail clients don’t display the email address properly
when there is a plain text alias, I find this infuriating.)

I do not know what you mean with this, I’m sorry.

Bye,
Milan

This is what I meant:

My point was that the URL should be way more prominent.

As the links are usually a thing in the HTML mails, the HTML code can have set what tooltip is shown when hovering the mouse cursor above the link for few seconds. When there is no predefined tooltip by the HTML code, Evolution shows the URL as the tooltip.

Damn, there is such a tooltip!

How can it be that I never noticed? Maybe because the mouse has to be completely still for a second…? Or I’m just stupid. Nevermind this question, then.

It’s how tooltips work, evolution doesn’t do anything differently with them :slight_smile: The tooltips are not suitable for important information, because they cannot be easily triggered (consider a touch device), but they work fine here. Showing them in the status bar is also a standard way, as far as I know.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.