Why can't I edit gradients in GIMP?

Why can’t I edit gradients in GIMP? I try to click & drag the handles (see screenshot), but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? I’m running GIMP 2.10.32 on a late 2013 21.5" iMac running OSX Catalina 10.15.7.

screenshot-10-28-2022-20-23-14

Possibly because that one is a gradient installed with Gimp, and like many things that come in the installation (brushes,patterns…) it is read-only. If you want to edit it, you have to first make a copy it (right-click menu, or icon at the bottom).

Since Gimp 2.10, you can edit a gradient on the fly while using it in the blend tool:

• If you hover near the middle of the gradient line, a circle appears, and if you click-drag it, this is like dragging the middle handle in the editor

• If you click on the line elsewhere it adds new segment separator.

• You can change the color at the segment extremities using the on-canvas dialog

If you edit a gradient this way, it automatically saves the changes in a new gradient named Custom. You can copy it to keep it.

You cannot move the handles of the beginning/ends of the gradient, you have to split the segment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.