VAPI misunderstanding or missing (meson)

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is a relatively trivial question but I am new to Vala and don’t have any background in c/c++ either. Am I correct in thinking there must be a VAPI for any C library I want to use and they must have the same name?

After looking through the Vala API I saw a sdl2 API and thought I would try put together a simple example. Looks like the only VAPI is for sdl not sdl2. Does the VAPI’s not all ship with Valac?

I also see examples of Vala applications for OpenGL and GLFW yet I see no VAPI for these. I don’t know if this makes any difference but I am using meson. I either get an error suggesting no run-time dependency can be found using pkgconfig or cmake. Then if I use the actual lib name I get an error regarding no VAPI.

I hope someone can clear this up for me.
Kirk

Can you give a small contained meson sample reproducing this behaviour ?

I have only just started learning meson so I might be doing something wrong here.

project('sdl_test', 'c', 'vala')

dependencies = [
	dependency('glib-2.0'),
	dependency('gobject-2.0'),
	dependency('sdl')

]

sources = [
	'src/main.vala'
]

executable('sdl_test', sources, dependencies: dependencies)

meson.build:3:0: ERROR: Dependency "sdl" not found, tried pkgconfig and cmake

I don’t have any sdl library installed only sdl2 and if I change the meson file to use sdl2:

project('sdl_test', 'c', 'vala')

dependencies = [
	dependency('glib-2.0'),
	dependency('gobject-2.0'),
	dependency('sdl2')

]

sources = [
	'src/main.vala'
]

executable('sdl_test', sources, dependencies: dependencies)

I get the this error:

error: Package sdl2’ not found in specified Vala API directories or GObject-Introspection GIR directories`

The SDL2 vapi files were added quite recently to the main vala repository (committed one month ago), so depending where you’re installing vala from, you might not have a recent enough version. It was previously in the vapi-extras, so you’ll probably need to install this distro package to have it.

1 Like

Thank you I didn’t realize there was another repo for Vala vapi’s.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.