Using GNOME Boxes, cannot share a folder with a VM running Windows

I use GNOME Boxes to run a Windows 10 VM for rare occasions when I need to run a Windows-only piece of software that doesn’t play nice with Wine.

I’m on Fedora Silverblue 38, and run Boxes as a flatpak. I have downloaded virtio-win.iso from here - Index of /groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.229-1 - and used that to install all included drivers on the VM. In the VM settings in Boxes I have also set up a shared folder.

However, in the VM itself, I cannot view this shared folder - it does not appear anywhere. It seems like the DAV service refuses to run, but I’m not sure why this would be the case and the only error I’ve managed to get to show is generic and gives me no useful information - more specifically, trying to start the service returns an “error 1067” but I’ve found no information on what this might imply.

Does anyone else have experience with this particular kind of setup, or might be able to offer some suggestions of things to try to make this work?

In case anyone else runs into this issue later, I did solve my problem for the most part by switching to the non-flatpak version of GNOME Boxes, installing virt-manager, and following the instructions here.

The actual performance of spice-webdav turns out to be problematic in my case, but I did at least get the network drive to show up!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.