Upgrade from evolution-3.20.x to 3.36.x

Hi all, I would like to ask for few tips or what do I have to care mostly
to migrate all of my 15Gb of emails I have for my work in Evolution
3.20.x and start using them with Evolution 3.36.x ?

I know the emails should be storred in $HOMEDIR/.local/share/evolution .
So what would be the best procedure to make that migration ?

Obviously the first step is to backup everything.
But are there some tools to do the migration or is it enough to run the
never version of evolution and the migration will be done automatically ?

Rgds
Saxa

1 Like

Doesn’t Evolution have it’s own backup menu item? I would think export Evolution backup and then importing via the new version should work, should it not?

Yes, I have the options in 3.20 to backup and restore in File menu. Now I am mostly concernd about compatibility between the 3.20 and 3.36 versions. I think that even
installing 3.36 over what I have in my laptop should automatically find it, unless
something drastically changed in the way how evolution stores the emails now.

I would like to know if there is something special to take care of since the 2 versions are quite distant one from another.

I would like to know if there is something special to take care of since the 2 versions are quite distant one from another.

I hear you — FWIU Evolution hasn’t had major work done over the recent years, so you should be good to go. Why don’t you try it on a copy of your archive? I know it’s a huge archive, but what else are you gonna do?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yes, exactly this is what I will do, I have to firstly upgrade all my Linux , then the next step is latest gnome with evolution 3.36 and then I can report

if some troubles.

My concern is that I don’t want to have problems as otherwise all my job is stopped. I have no spare computer to try another install and see

if all goes well, so this is why I was asking and want to be sure to have as less as possible troubles in doing it.

Thanks for now.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.