Ubuntu 24.04: App Indicator Gnome Shell Extension disappears after relogin/reboot

Running a Qt UI application on Ubuntu 24.04 which runs Gnome 46.
Upon initial install the system tray icon is visible. However, after relogin or reboot, the system tray icon disappears. The Qt application uses QSystemTrayIcon:

QSystemTrayIcon *trayIcon = new QSystemTrayIcon(this); 
QIcon icon(trayImage); m_pTrayIcon->setIcon(icon); 
m_pTrayIcon->show();

On previous Ubuntu versions, this was fixed by installing the Gnome Shell Extension gnome-shell-extension-appindicator. However this did not make a difference in behavior.

So I had the following questions:

• I know the windowing system changed to Wayland for 24.04 whereas it was X11 previously. This may have affected the system tray icon behavior because the App Indicator Gnome Shell Extension was developed for X11 and don’t think it is maintained.
  • I have encountered a new system tray icon issue every Ubuntu release as the behavior changes. What are the alternatives to this? My application is based in Qt so do not have any other choice but QSystemTrayIcon.
  • Is there a fix or update in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator that would help resolve this issue? Please let me know if there are Gnome Shell Extension logs that can be provided.