Tracking Dependencies

What is considered the best way to track versions dependencies of GNOME project like glib, Pango, gtk…

I thought that tracking the git tag would be the best way, today when I am looking into https://gitlab.gnome.org/api/v4/projects/658/repository/tags, glib repo’s tags, I found the latest version is 2.67.1 so, I went through and thought the source will be at https://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/glib/2.67/glib-2.67.1.tar.xz as in it was for 2.67.0, but when I went there I found a 404.

If what I am doing is wrong can anybody help up with getting the latest version programically?

It depends. What are you trying to achieve, really?

If you want to track the dependencies for your application, then: don’t do that. You should only ever change the dependency of your own project when you require new API/functionality.

If you want to track the dependencies because you’re packaging things, then you should look at the releases in the GNOME build.

I have a small pet project that uses Pango and interfaces it python using Cython. I just wanted to have the latest Pango, been build into a wheel, for users installation only for windows. I want to test with the recent version as well as distribute it in a wheel. What I do is download things using a python script and build it, until now I was manually updating things but today I thought of writing a script to update things and just found this inconsistency.

I don’t understand what exactly I should do here. Can you explain?

That would be because I tagged the GLib 2.67.1 release but then forgot to upload the tarball. Apologies. I’ve fixed it now. It might take a few minutes for the mirrors to update.

1 Like

Thanks, @pwithnall

Again, the original question was on the best ways to track dependencies. So, I have something like this and is it ok to do so?

You can literally use whatever you want. Of course, you should steer clear of unstable/development snapshots—those are generally using an odd minor component of the version number.

1 Like

Also, this is where I do those things.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.