Tracker failes to index .qmd (text) files

I work a lot in R with Quarto Markdown Files (.qmd). They are simple text files, with an extended markdown language.

I know for instance, of a .qmd file in a sub/sub/sub directory of my home folder which contains the word ‘opioids’.

When I search (using Files/Nautilus) for ‘opioids’ (Full Text - not File Name), I get lots of results based on content, including pdf files, libreoffice files, markdown (.md) and HTML, but not .qmd files at all.

If I limit the search (What) to just Text Files, I still get results based on content, but markdown (.md) files are not displayed … and neither are any .qmd files.

If I limit the search (What) to Other Type and specify Quarto Markdown File - nothing at all is listed.

I have changed the setting for text-allowlist to include ‘*.qmd’ – makes no difference.

I have made sure, to remove .git from the ignored-directories-with-content as I often use git for version control of manuscripts.

After these changes, I have tried to reset and re-index - nothing helps.

I am at a loss, now and any help is appreciated.

My platform:
Pop_OS! (Ubuntu based) 64 bit.

Gsettings:
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Extract max-bytes 1048576
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Extract text-allowlist [‘.txt’, '.md’, ‘.mdwn’, '.qmd’]
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Extract wait-for-miner-fs false
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.FTS enable-stemmer true
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.FTS enable-unaccent true
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.FTS ignore-numbers true
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.FTS ignore-stop-words true
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files crawling-interval -1
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files enable-monitors true
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files ignored-directories [‘po’, ‘CVS’, ‘core-dumps’, ‘lost+found’]
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files ignored-directories-with-content [‘.trackerignore’, ‘.hg’, ‘.nomedia’]
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files ignored-files [‘~', '.o’, ‘.la’, '.lo’, ‘.loT’, '.in’, ‘.csproj’, '.m4’, ‘.rej’, '.gmo’, ‘.orig’, '.pc’, ‘.omf’, '.aux’, ‘.tmp’, '.vmdk’, ‘.vm’, ‘.nvram’, '.part’, ‘.rcore’, '.lzo’, ‘autom4te’, ‘conftest’, ‘confstat’, ‘Makefile’, ‘SCCS’, ‘ltmain.sh’, ‘libtool’, ‘config.status’, ‘confdefs.h’, ‘configure’, ‘##', '~$.doc?’, ‘~$.dot?', '~$.xls?’, ‘~$.xlt?', '~$.xlam’, ‘~$.ppt?', '~$.pot?’, ‘~$.ppam’, '~$.ppsm’, ‘~$.ppsx’, '~$.vsd?’, ‘~$.vss?', '~$.vst?’, ‘mimeapps.list’, ‘mimeinfo.cache’, ‘gnome-mimeapps.list’, ‘kde-mimeapps.list’, ‘*.directory’]
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files index-applications true
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files index-on-battery false
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files index-on-battery-first-time true
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files index-optical-discs false
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files index-recursive-directories [‘$HOME’]
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files index-removable-devices false
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files index-single-directories @as
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files initial-sleep 15
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files low-disk-space-limit -1
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files removable-days-threshold 3
org.freedesktop.Tracker3.Miner.Files throttle 0

Tracker3 status:
Currently indexed: 52571 files, 12490 folders
Remaining space on database partition: 832,8 GB (83,50%)
All data miners are idle, indexing complete
56 recorded failures

• Regards
    Soren, Denmark

Hi,

What mime type is reported if you run: xdg-mime query filetype for one of the .qmd files in question?

You already spotted the text allowlist, which is specific to the plaintext extractor. All extractors also have a .rules file, e.g. /usr/share/tracker3-miners/extract-rules/15-text.rule

[ExtractorRule]
ModulePath=libextract-text.so
MimeTypes=text/plain;text/markdown
FallbackRdfTypes=nfo:Document;nfo:PlainTextDocument;
Graph=tracker:Documents
Hash=099925eabaa7a05a96418129b1f22e8510862c9287c4bb47522b4f150af5f62d

Notice how there’s a specific list of mime types that will be processed. I’m just guessing here but maybe qmd files have a different mimetype reported?

Hi,
xdg-mime reports: text/x-quarto-markdown

I added text/x-quarto-markdown to the 15-text.rules file, like so:
MimeTypes=text/plain;text/markdown;text/x-quarto-markdown

Still no .qmd files in the search result, but I suspect the miners need to re-trawl $HOME for .qmd files…

sadly, still no .qmd files in search results

Hi,

You may also need to change the Hash field in the .rule file so tracker-miners only requires a restart to reindex the affected files, instead of a database reset.

And you might prefer to use a standalone .rule file for .qmd files alone, as that will not be overwritten by future system updates. This file would need MimeTypes/Hash fields changed, compared to the stock 15-text.rule, and I would suggest to prefix this file with 99- to avoid conflicts with possible upstream changes.

Cheers,
Carlos

I have created a new 99-text-qmd.rule file as you suggest

Sorry to be a bit of a noob here, but the hash listed in the file, should that be an md5sum or sha1sum or some other hashing algorithm … and that hash has to be calculated on the file without the ‘hash’ line?

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.