Touch Gestures Inconsistency

I have recently been experimenting with Linux on convertible tablets to replace my Chromebook, and after some distro-hopping found Fedora Gnome to be the best for screen rotation, trackpad, and touchscreen support. However, I am constantly frustrated with the inconsistency between gestures on trackpad vs. touchscreen. I have seen the same behaviour both on a Dell Latitude 5290 2-in-1 (not the laptop with the same model number) and Surface Go 2 (using the default kernel not surface-linux).

In essence, the gestures to open the Activities Overview and switch Workspaces use 3 fingers on a trackpad but require 4 fingers on the touchscreen.

In my quest for a solution to this inconsistency I have found zero solutions and 3 separate pages on gnome.org which give differing information about gestures. I have opened an issue on Gitlab for the documentation to be corrected, but I am posting here in the hope that someone has a solution that will let me change the gesture behaviour to be consistent between trackpad and touchscreen.

How do I make touchscreen gestures also use 3 fingers to open the Activities Overview and switch workspaces?

It was always supposed to be 3 fingers, but after changes in the underlying platform, it started misbehaving and requiring 4 fingers in practice.

The issue was fixed in GNOME 45, and the gesture now works with 3 fingers as intended on both touchpads and touchscreens.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. I will look forward to gnome 45 rolling out to Fedora, then! My tablet currently has Fedora 38 running gnome 44.5.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.