Totem - Widevine support

I was wondering whether Totem supports audio-video streams that use Widevine DRM.

I tried https://start-player.npo.nl/video/LI_RA1_8167349/streams?profile=dash-widevine&quality=npo&streamType=liveradio (from NPO Radio 1 - Online radio luisteren – Nieuws en Sport , that works in Firefox, of course if Yes is selected at the “Enable DRM” prompt), and it didn’t work.

I was also wondering whether some GStreamer plugin is needed

There is no Widevine support in totem.

The biggest problem here is that it is illegal to use Widevine without signing a legal contract with Google. Google has previously privately indicated that they will not offer a contract to us because we are an open source software project. That was many years ago and I think it’s time to try again, but these communications really need to be handled by lawyers to be effective, so it requires coordination and planning with GNOME Foundation. (Also, I suspect there will be some resistance to the prospect of GNOME distributing proprietary software.) I’m quite interested in this but just have not had time to pursue it thus far.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.