To Nautilus developers: What extensions do you use at home?

This is a simple curiosity, probably due to the fact that I have developed some extensions: Do Nautilus developers have any third-party extensions installed on some of their computers? It is probably a good way to keep in touch with what the community adds to the file manager… If yes, which ones have you tried? And which ones are you still using?

1 Like

Hi, I personally don’t use any extensions. I used to have a git extension installed on a previous system, but rely on IDEs providing good enough integrations since.

1 Like

This is my current list:

/usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-4/libterminal-nautilus.so
/usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-4/libnautilus-fileroller.so
/usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-4/libnautilus-python.so
/usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-4/libtotem-properties-page.so
/usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-4/libnautilus-image-properties.so

None of them were intentionally installed by me. The last 2 are built-in and the first three were dragged along by other apps.

For nautilus-python currently I only have Nextcloud python plug-in. I don’t use it for productivity, only for testing/debugging. I did use nautilus-dropbox extension at some point long ago.

At one point in the past I used to have a nautilus extension which added menu items to convert images (format / size).

2 Likes

I often install third party extensions for testing and bugfixing, but I make it a rule not to depend or get used to them, because, as a nautilus developer, I must optimize the default experience.

But I find third party extensions very useful to explore potential new features. Or to get a feeling where our current features are lacking.

E.g. GitHub - costales/folder-color: Folder Color for Linux file browsers is a very interesting extension which covers a need that’s poorly answered by our current custom icon feature implementation. And the feedback from Survey: Custom File Thumbnail Usage - #21 by BarryBanana reinforces this is a very attractive direction to go.

3 Likes

Thank you both for sharing your experience!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.