The bug template in the gnome-shell issue tracker doesn't ask if the user uses extensions

I think this would be a good requirement to diagnose future issues. Where can I file an issue to improve this?

1 Like

You can find those in the git repository here and open an issue for it. To be honest, I would just open MR with your suggested changes.

Scratch that last part, it looks like opening an issue, with an MR linking to it is still preferred for GNOME Shell.

it looks like opening an issue, with an MR linking to it is still preferred for GNOME Shell.

Uhm, where did you get that from? Opening merge requests without a corresponding issue is perfectly fine. Is there some documentation we have to update?

GitLab’s having a bit of a hiccup, but here’s the bit from the README.md on the GitHub mirror. I could very well be reading it wrong, but…

Commit messages should follow the GNOME commit message guidelines. We require an URL to either an issue or a merge request in each commit.

Well, it does say “or merge request” :wink:

But that bit does indeed need updating, as nowadays URLs are added automatically when merging.

1 Like

Scratch that last part, it looks like opening an issue, with an MR linking to it is still preferred for GNOME Shell.

In the gnome-shell issue tracker? .-.

BTW is there a way to make GitLab ask the user to set a template so it doesn’t get ignored?

Yeah, but I was wrong :slight_smile: You can just open an MR for that, probably even in web interface if you want. Any (minor) discussion can just happen there, I expect.

I don’t think so, no :confused:. I often want the same thing for GitHub, so it’s just not possible to open an non-useful issue.

Nautilus issue tracker has a default template which gives some instructions about choosing a correct template:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.