Sync & Link Music Folder to 2nd drive? (like Windows Move Location)

Hi Gnome,

I have one SSD with Windows and Fedora duel boot. I keep all my music on a 2nd drive and in Windows there is a feature where I can right click Music Folder > Location Tab > Move and just point to the proper music location on my 2nd drive. This allows me to open the music folder and see everything properly.

I like to add to the music when I’m in both operating systems, can I do something similar on Gnome? I don’t want to copy or cut the music files into the home folder on Fedora cause it’d break the setup in Windows and I would like to have a sync’d music library between both os’s.

p.s. - right now, i just went into default music player and “loaded source” but my favorite way to browse music library is using explorer music folder to launch the songs.

Hi!

Since you have a dual boot, you should be able to mount the Windows disk partition from the Other Locations view in GNOME Files’ sidebar. From there you can browse to your Windows user music folder and bookmark it so you have it at hand when needed. I’m not sure if Files will automatically mount again the partition later on once you’ve rebooted, or if it does when trying to access the bookmark. In case it doesn’t you might need to enable auto-mounting of the partition from the Disks app.

This way you won’t have to copy musics from an OS to the other. Note that it wouldn’t work the other way around (Windows accessing the Linux partition) because Windows doesn’t support the partition format used by Linux (ext4 likely).

1 Like

When I add the music folder from Windows to favorites, that makes it very easy. How do I add the pretty folder icon to the left of the recently created favorites? Also, any idea on how I can remove the existing “Music” folder that is pinned on the left? It seems like a waste of dead space sine I won’t be using it.

Also, any idea on how I can remove the existing “Music” folder that is pinned on the left? It seems like a waste of dead space sine I won’t be using it.

I don’t think you can remove it. Even removing the folder itself doesn’t seem to make it disappear. It just gives an error if trying to open the Music pinned folder on the left.

How do I add the pretty folder icon to the left of the recently created favorites?

What you might be able to do though is to make your pinned Music folder be a symbolic link to the Windows one, if you don’t need a local (Linux -only) music folder. To do so you’ll need to enable the option that shows the symbolic link action, in Files’ preferences, and use the appropriate context menu item to make a symbolic link of the Windows music folder, and move that symlink to your home directory with the same name as the music folder you’ve deleted.

Sounds like your looking for xdg user dirs

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.