Survey: Custom File Thumbnail Usage

Hi!

Nautilus developers are currently planning to refine the custom-icon feature of the properties dialog. It allows setting a custom icon for a file/folder. To not break current use-cases we would like to know:

• Did you know about the feature?
  • Did you ever use the feature?
  • Did you ever use it for changing the thumbnail of a file?
  • Did that file already have a thumbnail before?
  • What do you love about this feature?
  • What do you dislike or miss regarding this feature?

Thanks for your input!

5 Likes

Yes

Yes

No

Just the fact that it exists.

I used daudix/adwaita-folder-icons: Additional folder icons for GNOME - Codeberg.org to change the ~/Projects directory icon to something more meaningful:

It’s difficult to notice when you’re unaware of it.

I also don’t like that it is sensitive to the location of the icon. For example, if you select a custom icon from the downloads directory and then delete the icon, Nautilus won’t show the icon anymore. I suggest that it automatically copies it somewhere so that it’s safe to remove the original file.

3 Likes

Interesting. You use it to set actual icons, not random pictures.

There is a support for setting custom icon name instead of URI, provided the icon is found in any standard icon theme directory (e.g. ~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/*).

There is no UI for this support. You can test it with gio set -t string ~/Projects metadata::custom-icon-name folder-code (but first you need to reset the current custom icon, which takes precedence). This would address the problem of “what if I delete the downloaded image”, provided a mechanism exists to install custom icon sets.

1 Like

I use this feature to set covers for music albums. Currently I have a collection of king crimson studio albums with matching icons on folders.
I wish song covers detection was better in nautilus. I have approximately one album where nautilus could detect song covers. And if folder icon could represent it’s content, I will probably be satisfied with such icon and wouldn’t set custom one

EDIT: no, i never changed file icon

1 Like

I know about the feature but haven’t had a need or use for it.

If I had a use for it I’d say it’s maybe not very discoverable or intuitive. The user has to guess they can click the icon to change it. I don’t find that this is covered in the help.

I don’t know what the use case is for changing a file’s icon—all my files except for plain text and code files already have a thumbnail.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your case!

Looks like music albums are a relevant case we could try to handle automatically.

(Technical details: we might be able to borrow code from here src/gst/totem-gst-pixbuf-helpers.c · master · GNOME / totem · GitLab)

1 Like

I agree on this. I discovered that it is possible to change the icon long ago by clicking by accident. Maybe an overlay above the image with a text that says “Change” would show the feature more clearly?

This suggests me something missing at the moment: When no icon attribute was set by the user Nautilus could be free to guess custom icons (e.g. the cover of an album), but when the icon attribute was set by the user Nautilus should stick to that.

Also this. Personally I believe that system icons and home icons should be shown first (in an icon picker), and then an option that says “Pick a custom icon” should allow to select any other file. But that is because I would always prefer images aesthetically designed to work well as icons. Others might disagree.

1 Like

I knew about it since the GNOME 2 days,. I use it a lot, mainly for two things:

1. I have a large local music collection. It is sorted with artists at the first level, albums at the second level. I change the artist icon to the artist logo (if I can find one), and the album icon to the album cover.
  2. I also have a large local collection of photo albums. For each of them, I select a key photo and set it as the icon for the album directory. E.g. my niece blowing candles for her birthday party album.

I can try to provide screenshots, if that’s useful?

Only for directories in my use cases.

I love that it helps me find stuff instantly, as each item becomes visually distinct from the neighbours and tells me what content to expect. I also love that it makes directories generally more appealing.

I dislike that it’s Nautilus specific and that the file chooser doesn’t show the custom icons to me. It would be useful in cases like browsing to add music in Amberol. If the recent discussions to turn Nautilus into the filechooser end up being implemented, that might get solved as a side effect.

It’s not doing much at the moment, but I started working on a thing.

1 Like

No. And… I mostly use the terminal, and open Nautilus specifically to have thumbnails to browse my photos.

I used that feature a looooong time ago (I think it was back in GNOME 2.x times…) on some folders.

But I stopped using it because it made those folders look like simple documents, which I find confusing.

1 Like

I like to use custom icon themes, and sometimes even make custom icons with the intention to use them this way. I’ve used it to change a thumbnail, and I like how I get the final say on what is getting displayed in my file browser

maybe some helpful text hints could make the feature more obvious.

Did you know about the feature?

Yes, but I didn’t realize it worked for files too.

Did you ever use the feature?

Yes - I change the icons of select few folders to make them easier to see at a glance.

Did you ever use it for changing the thumbnail of a file?
Did that file already have a thumbnail before?

I used similar feature on Windows to change some shortcut icons. Usually they have generic shortcut icon, but there were times when they already had icon, but it was too generic or not distinct enough.

What do you love about this feature?

It makes me more productive and it is easy to use.

What do you dislike or miss regarding this feature?

It is hard to discover.

1 Like

Were these shortcuts pointing at folders or something else?

Are links in linux better than windows shortcuts in this regard? Did you ever find the need to change icon of a link? (And if so, was it a link to a folder or something else?)

Were these shortcuts pointing at folders or something else?

Both - sometimes I already had shortcut and other times I created them just so I can set custom icon, since as far as I know Windows Explorer doesn’t allow easily changing the icon.

Are links in linux better than windows shortcuts in this regard? Did you ever find the need to change icon of a link? (And if so, was it a link to a folder or something else?)

I don’t remember ever creating a shortcut on linux, but I’m not a heavy linux user - I mostly use it as intrnet machine or for some light work. Does Nautilus even allow creating shortcuts?

Interesting. What types of files would you change the icon of? E.g. Text documents, etc.?

It’s optional. It can be enabled in the Preferences.

Usually links to small utilities that are part of software package, but not deemed important enough to have their own icon. On linux that can be done with desktop file. Less often links to documents, but it happens.
Generally I do it when a have bunch of files that are part of (logical) collection and I need to access a few specific ones regularly, but not too often. For folders it is the other way around - I usually have a small number that I access regularly and I want them to look distinct.

I expected it to work in a similar way to copy\move - you hold a special key when dragging to the target location and it changes the action. The way it works now means I have to first create it in the same place and then move it, but it may not be possible if the original location is read-only or you don’t have permissions.

The way it works now means I have to first create it in the same place and then move it, but it may not be possible if the original location is read-only or you don’t have permissions.

Ctrl + M pastes a link to a copied item. It’s in the Keyboard Shortcuts.

1 Like

Related to the topic - I used the emblems for similar purpose.

Did you know about the feature?

Yes.

Did you ever use the feature?

Yes.

Did you ever use it for changing the thumbnail of a file?

No, I just changed thumbnails of directories. All the directories containing my music albums.

Did that file already have a thumbnail before?

No, I replaced default folder icons by albums cover.

What do you love about this feature?

Being able to customize folder icons using gio was nice. Easily integrated into a Python script.

What do you dislike or miss regarding this feature?

I used to expose my music both through SFTP and SAMBA. The feature requires to update the thumbnails for URIs with the two corresponding schemes smb and sftp. Also I didn’t find how to have the thumbnails being shared between users of my system (me and my two sons). Thus decided to stop maintaining the Python script that updated the thumbnails…

For directories, may be there could be an option (for folders only) that would generate a custom icon using the images contained in the folder or the custom icons of the children folders… A very niche feature but would enrich any music library since artist folders would automatically have a custom icon…

1 Like

So, I didn’t know about this feature at all. It seems like something that I might have played with in the GNOME 2 days, but I’ve never found a purpose for it.

One of the main problems with this feature for me is that the directories where I would find it useful are NFS shares from my NAS, which I use on multiple computers… and the icons I set on one computer don’t show up on the other computers.

The other thing is that I rely on the icon to identify which things in Nautilus are folders, so I don’t want to make folders look like files or vice-versa. For folders, it would be nice to be able to select from a pre-set list of alternate folder icons (color variations, or different symbols like the XDG directories have) instead of needing to pick an image file.

I think I would prefer to be able to use emblems to indicate special files or folders instead of changing the entire icon.

1 Like