Support for Gamepad navigation in GNOME (TV-Mode)

Hi

I want to operate the Gnome Desktop with a PS5 Gamepad because I’m sitting far away on the couch.

The only thing on the PS5 controller that is supported is the trackpad. Everything else does not work, so it is very difficult to operate.

I found this with a Brave search:
Not compatible with Debian 12.6 GNOME Game Controller Settings - GNOME Shell Extensions

How can I use Gnome with a PS5 controller/navigate through menus?

I use steam input to achieve this type of functionality but antimicrox could work as well.

1 Like

Is this guide from Brave KI correct? Please verify

I have never used Steam on Linux

How-to install steam input on linux

Steam Input is a subsystem within Steam that provides a unified interface for gamepads and other input devices. To install Steam Input on Linux, you don’t need to perform a separate installation, as it’s already included with the Steam client.

Prerequisites

1. Ensure you have Steam installed on your Linux system. If you haven’t installed Steam yet, follow the instructions for your distribution:
  • Ubuntu/Debian-based: Use the apt package manager or install from the Software App.
  • Fedora/OpenSUSE: Use the respective package manager.
  • Arch Linux: Install the steam package from the AUR.
  1. Make sure your Linux distribution is up-to-date.

Enabling Steam Input

1. Launch Steam on your Linux system.
  2. In the Steam client, go to Settings (gear icon) > Controller.
  3. Ensure that Steam Input is enabled. You can do this by checking the box next to “Enable Steam Input” or by selecting “Steam Input” as the input system from the dropdown menu.

Configuring Steam Input

1. Once enabled, you can configure Steam Input by clicking on the Controller settings and selecting the desired controller layout or profile.
  2. You can also customize button mappings and other settings for your specific controller.

Additional Tips

• If you’re using a flatpak version of Steam, you may need to manually set up udev rules or install the steam-devices package for controller support.
  • Some controllers may require you to use Steam Big Picture mode for proper functionality.
  • For official support, refer to the Steam documentation and community resources.

By following these steps, you should have Steam Input installed and configured on your Linux system. Enjoy gaming with your preferred controller!

Basically, installing steam-devices is an important step and if you are running on Wayland you will be forced to open a remote desktop session whenever reconnecting, so you will still require another input at times. steam provides a shortcut for a controller based on-screen keyboard (guide+x) but it doesn’t work in the overview. Steam input provides an onscreen menu system which doesn’t work on the desktop. Overall, it’s a positive experience (with caveats), but if you have no interest in steam it might be better to try out anti-microx first.

1 Like

it seems this steam-devices is closed source.
I will try GitHub - AntiMicroX/antimicrox: Graphical program used to map keyboard buttons and mouse controls to a gamepad. Useful for playing games with no gamepad support.

Thank you