SSH host identification changed for master.gnome.org?

I came to upload a tarball today, and got:

$ scp /opt/gnome/build/glib/meson-dist/glib-2.77.3.tar.xz master.gnome.org:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ED25519 key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:uLLU4nGpQeDPqLM28eG7dMiZy2ReDKk+LxbM9CGNTQ4.
Please contact your system administrator.
Update the SSHFP RR in DNS with the new host key to get rid of this message.
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ED25519 key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:uLLU4nGpQeDPqLM28eG7dMiZy2ReDKk+LxbM9CGNTQ4.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /home/philip/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending ED25519 key in /home/philip/.ssh/known_hosts:160
Host key for master.gnome.org has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.
scp: Connection closed

Is the host identification expected to have changed recently for master.gnome.org?

1 Like

That’s an unexpected change from yesterday’s OCP upgrade, the master.g.o VM is part of our OCP Virt cluster, for some reason the upgrade of the virtualization operator also triggered cloud-init which regenerated the SSH keys for the host, that means it’s actually expected for that message to appear now, please remove the former keys from known_hosts and you should be good, I’ll update SSHFP entries accordingly.

4 Likes

Is it possible to arrange that the host SSH keys are stored in a persistent way such that they will survive across a routine redeploy?

Ideally, key rotation should be an exceptional event in the event of a security incident, with a lot of communication outbound via trusted platforms so that people know to re-verify the keys. e.g. We updated our RSA SSH host key - The GitHub Blog

FOSS infrastructure is a legitimate attack target and GNOME’s code runs on many millions of systems. Desensitising contributors/participants to the key just randomly changing as a routine event increases the risk here that an individual may one day not check or make the wrong choice, which makes GNOME more vulnerable to attacks.

For comparison - Endless uses Hashicorp vault to store host secrets which are used during deployment automation so that existing host keys can be re-used in the common redeployment case. We use AWS EC2/ECP so it’s packer+terraform+ansible, which has various options to access vault running in the administrator context, but there might be different ways to make stored host secrets available during the early bringup with cloud-init.

3 Likes

Robert,

I’ve landed backups for master.g.o so that this will be prevented in the future. Regarding your comment about Endless, I agree using HC Vault could be a viable solution but I believe you also understand I’m helping out in my free time and Bart is very busy as well, I don’t think having to maintain yet another service is something we’re looking forward to right now, that’s also why we’ve been focusing a lot into retiring old (unused) services including (hopefully soon) the Wiki, which is a major pain on its own due to the poor RBD OCP support.

1 Like