Some help to report issues in the right place

Hello, I hope to be writing in the correct category in the new GNOME Discourse instance.

Testing fedora 30 beta, I found a couple of small issues, however, I don’t know the affected components to report them correctly in Gitlab, so I would appreciate your help.

• Switch windows directly (Alt+Esc) doesn’t work: I tried changing the shortcut to Alt + Tab (combination that I usually use) and it doesn’t work. My keyboard works fine. The shortcut “Switch windows on a app directly (Alt + F6)” work fine.
    I don’t know if the report has to be made directly on Keyboard panel, gnome-settign-daemon?, gnome-shell, etc.

• Caps lock makes the function of caps lock and backspace in keyboard layouts like Colemak or Norman. This only happens in GNOME and curiously works differently in the Xorg and Wayland session (in Wayland Caps lock it maintains its function when in the keyboard layout it indicates that it should be Backspace).

This one is already reported and fixed: alt+esc doesn't work anymore in 3.32: TypeError: this._switcherList is null (#1064) · Issues · GNOME / gnome-shell · GitLab

This works for me. I’m on Fedora 30 (Wayland) using us+colemak with caps lock as an additional super key. If I disable that mapping, caps lock acts as backspace as expected.

I think mutter handles keyboard layout management in Wayland sessions.

1 Like

That sounds good, thanks.

This works for me. I’m on Fedora 30 (Wayland) using us+colemak with caps lock as an additional super key. If I disable that mapping, caps lock acts as backspace as expected.

In my case, on Wayland Caps lock works like caps lock. The other behavior that I described is only in the Xorg session. I solved this partially by assigning the Caps lock key with the Backspace function from gnome-tweaks.

Investigating a bit, I realized that this is something known at least in the colemak forum.

How did you configure Colemak in your system? When selecting the keyboard layout from the keyboard panel y gnome control center, those problems were presented, however, when performing the configuration manually as indicated by the Colemak wiki, everything works as expected.

I think mutter handles keyboard layout management in Wayland sessions.

Thanks, it’s a good place to start.

I’m using the Region & Language panel plus gnome-tweak-tool for caps:super. I also have colemak set in /etc/vconsole.conf (via localectl).

I think the difference is that I have Colemak listed first and qwerty second. In this configuration, caps lock => backspace even when I switch to qwerty. I never noticed because I had caps lock mapped to super.

If I swap the order and switch to Colemak, caps lock => caps lock + backspace

in dconf:
org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources [(‘xkb’, ‘us’), (‘xkb’, ‘us+colemak’)]

I see, thanks for doing those tests. Doing other things I also realized that when mapping Caps lock to Backspace from gnome tweaks, in Xorg I can only erase one letter at a time, but in Wayland I can keep the key pressed and erase continuously. I also noticed that the on-screen keyboard doesn’t change its layout automatically and neither does it do it from its configuration menu.

I will take some time to navigate on Github and create the corresponding reports. Thank you.

As a general advise: If you are unsure about the right component, make a guess. It is very easy for developers to move issues elsewhere, and nobody expects you to know exactly how core components work together before reporting bugs (and sometimes it is outright impossible to tell the source of a bug without investigation).

It is much better to pick the wrong component than to leave a bug unreported.

Case in point: The Alt+Esc bug was trivial to fix, but as I never use that keyboard shortcut, it took a bug report to bring the issue to our attention.

Thank you for your words and it would be a good thing that all developers thought the same. I have been reporting bugs for different projects for a couple of years and a poorly located report or without much information is not always well received due to the user’s lack of knowledge.

As the Alt + Esc issue is already solved, I leave the other issue (Caps lock/Colemak) that I mentioned if you want to follow up.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.