Smooth handling of scaling and mirror on external monitor

I use gnome (with some extensions) as a daily driver on my laptop. My $DAYJOB is teaching and research so I spend my days plugging my laptop into the AV of theaters, labs, meeting rooms etc… for lectures/presentations. I always use mirroring, never desktop extensions (since e.g. in theaters it’s critical for me to have a visual feedback of what’s projected behind me). My laptop is a Dell XPS, intel chipset and everything works smoothly. The only problem is that my screen is 4k 3840x2160, so I use a scaling factor of 200%. There are almost no external screen that I use that supports this resolution, so when mirroring, everything jumps back to anything between 1024x768 to 1920x1080. At that size, 200% is way to much, sometimes the preference window does not fit on the screen.

Q: is there a way to automatically have the scaling factor go to 100% when the resolution is too small ? jumping 4+ clicks to go to settings, screen, switching manually, apply, is cumbersome, when not downright impossible because the pref windows is too big.
Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.