Secuity and Antivirus Configuration Tool/Settings

I’ve had a quick look around here and not seen any topics like this but forgive me if I’ve missed it.

Essentially I have been thinking about writing another front-end for ClamAV (I know there is the TK front-end and in a previous job I created one in Qt for a company to use on their desktops but I’d like to write a completely open source one now). This got me thinking, wouldn’t it be cool to have this as part of the GNOME desktop? It could be expanded to manage other malware checkers (i.e., chkrootkit/rkhunter) or anything else security related (STIG compliance checking for RedHat/SUSE/Ubuntu perhaps?).

I don’t want to get too carried away though but if there was a simple tool to configure scheduled scans, examine reports or check removable media do you think it would be better as a stand-alone application or included as part of the Desktop configuration/settings panel?

I would definitely recommend doing this as a separate application. It’s a very specific use case, and you will need to move at your own pace while you figure out the user design and interaction; blocking on the whole GNOME Control Center would not do you any favours.

1 Like

Cool thanks for the fast response!

I shall endeavour to do as you suggest and look forward to getting my teeth back into GTK programming after a long break. :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.