Scripts/plugins GIMP 2.x versus GIMP 2.99.x

Hi

Is there a reason most GIMP 2.x scripts/plugins won’t work in GIMP 2.99.x because of some big changes?

Or is GIMP 2.99.x changed so much that all scripts/plugins for GIMP 2.x won’t run in GIMP 2.99.x and the developers need to adjust them to work?

Being not a developer, I don’t really have a view on this.
So I hope somebody can explain.

AFAIK, Gimp 2.99 introduced recently multi-layer selection, and since most scripts & plugins take an input layer, they know take a list of layers. So script/plugin registration changed somewhat to reflect this.

Python plugins need serious rework (migrate to Python3 and API changes), and the support of auto-generated parameter dialogs was incomplete last time I checked.

IMHO for regular work you are still better off with 2.10.

Your scripts will not work in Gimp 2.99 or am I wrong?
Is there a way the code can be changed so they work in BOTH GIMP versions?
(or maybe this is a stupid question of a non-developer :blush: )

Currently too much work for a moving target. For instance the addition of multi-selection occured after I worked on a couple of scripts. And the auto-generated dialogs are too incomplete, so the only script I could migrate now ware those that have very few parameters, restricted to some types (layers, mostly).

Hi! What would you say is missing from the auto-generated dialog API at this point? We’re almost done porting the existing built-in plug-ins to use it, so if any other widgets need to be added to the API I’d be happy to submit code.

Hi. I have been porting some of my personal plugins encountering various problems along the way. The biggest problem I have with the autogenerated dialogs is the absence of any way to make a choice. I often need to have something as simple as a checkbox and it is not possible using Python. Yet clearly all of the choice widgets are there in Gtk and can be used from C.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.