Screenshot and Screen"cast" date formats different

Has anyone noticed the date formats for screenshots, and screen"casts" are different?
screenshots use a sane, useful yyyy-mm-dd format which will sort properly over time.
screen"casts" use a terrible, unusable mm-dd-yyyy format

It looks like there no longer is a seperate program for screenshots/recordings as of the year 2022 gnome 42.4. right?

I checked for processes that came and went when taking a recording and didn’t notice any… Great.

I checked dcong for screencast/shot to look for a file format string, and nope.

So.

How do we fix this now? The date formats should obey a user’s default locale settings. At very least they should be the same. And there should be a dconf setting to specify where you want them to save to, and what format names to use.

And also. a note for perhaps non-english-speakers: “cast” signifies a broadCAST, or transmission of data over distance. The video recording feature of gnome’s screenshots do not broadcast. so it can not be called a “screencast”. It is a screenrecording, as unfortunate and untrendy as those extra sylables are, they are necessary at this time.

Yes, the screenshot/cast functionality is built in to Gnome Shell now.

I see the same issue with screencasts. They use a DD-MM-YY hh:mm:ss format. That matches the default datatime for my locale. Screenshots as you say use YYYY-MM-DD hh-mm-ss format which BTW also avoids the problematic : in the filename (you can’t put files with : in their name on DOS/Windows/macOS filesystems).

Looks like the screencast filename is initialized here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/blob/main/js/ui/screenshot.js#L1846. But I can’t find how/where the %d %t gets replaced. I agree with you, screencasts should use the same datetime format as screenshots.

const [success, path] = await method(
                    GLib.build_filenamev([
                        /* Translators: this is the folder where recorded
                           screencasts are stored. */
                        _('Screencasts'),
                        /* Translators: this is a filename used for screencast
                         * recording, where "%d" and "%t" date and time, e.g.
                         * "Screencast from 07-17-2013 10:00:46 PM.webm" */
                        /* xgettext:no-c-format */
                        _('Screencast from %d %t.webm'),
                    ]),

Yes, and it has been fixed: Use the same format for screencasts and screenshot file names (!2300) · Merge requests · GNOME / gnome-shell · GitLab

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.