Rygel not showing up as renderer

Rygel on Raspbian (Debian Bullseye). Rygel is showing up fine as a UPnP server, but does not show up on my network as a Renderer. I want to cast TO it. I’ve looked through the config and don’t see anything specifically to turn on Renderer. Advice appreciated!

Mark

Try sudo apt install rygel-playbin and restart rygel. It is configured in the section [Playbin]

What is TO?

(Sorry, I should have typed formatted the word “to” in italics…)

THANKS. It’s now coming up on my network as a Renderer.

But no joy in actually casting to it. The stream starts, then stops. Nothing changes on screen.

From my /etc/rygel.conf:

[MPRIS]
enabled=true

Ah I thought “TO” was some media format I didn’t know :slight_smile:

Please check the log. If rygel is started through systemd, it should be in the journal.

For more extensive debug log, run Rygel manually with

G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=all rygel -g 5. My suspicion would be that you are missing GStreamer plugins for the media you want to play

Thanks again.

Keep trying to turn off Rygel so I can run it from the command line. No joy. Always get an error indicating that it’s already running.

So I naturally go looking and looking and looking for the actual log file. There isn’t one?

sigh

Which GStreamer plugins should I have installed in order for VLC to display the files being sent over DLNA?

Mark

So what are you trying to do?

• Run Rygel as a stand-alone renderer
  • Use Rygel to act as a renderer that remote-controls VLC

Those are two different things and only one of them requires GStreamer

There is no log file, if run as part of your session the output should be in your user’s journal or in the system journal, and if it is not run through systemd, it is up to whoever configured it to run as such where that output lands.

You can shut down the other rygel with rygel --shutdown

Can Rygel actually render a video stream without any external helper application? E.g., OMXPlayer or VLC?

I want Rygel to act in two capacities, consonant with the DLNA spec:

1. As a DLNA server, serving out my media
  2. As a DLNA renderer, taking media that is cast to it and displaying that media on screen.

Both these functions are working fine on my Ubuntu Jammy workstations.

Now trying to get them to work, both, on my Raspberry Pi Debian Bullseye. Rygel DLNA serving is working; Rygel DLNA rendering is not (even though Rygel is now showing up on my network as a DLNA renderer).

So there must be one last configuration step I need to take to get video to actually show on screen!

Yes, Rygel can render itself. For that, you need the rygel-playbin package and should install about all the gstreamer plugins you can find (good, bad, ugly, libav) .

If you want to remote-control VLC, you need to enable the MPRIS interface somewhere in VLCs (advanced) settings

Thanks, good to know!

Straight from Gstreamer, How To Install on Ubuntu/Debian:

Install GStreamer on Ubuntu or Debian

Run the following command:

apt-get install libgstreamer1.0-0 gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-doc gstreamer1.0-tools

And yet:

mcyzyk@RaspberryPiZeroWTravel:~ $ sudo apt-get install libgstreamer1.0-0 gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-doc gstreamer1.0-tools
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
Package gstreamer1.0-doc is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘gstreamer1.0-doc’ has no installation candidate
mcyzyk@RaspberryPiZeroWTravel:~ $

Yeah you can safely skip doc, that is available online :slight_smile:

sudo apt-get install libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-dev gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-tools gstreamer1.0-gl gstreamer1.0-gtk3

Gstreamer plugins installed!

rygel-pastebin installed and activated in /etc/rygel.conf

Still nothing on screen.

Well, need the output then. Everything I have said is based on guesswork.

A Clue!

(rygel:1228): RygelRendererGst-WARNING **: 22:07:06.940: rygel-playbin-player.vala:583: Error from GStreamer element playbin3-0: Could not initialise supporting library. (…/gst-libs/gst/video/gstvideodecoder.c(2666): gst_video_decoder_change_state (): /GstPlayBin3:playbin3-0/GstURIDecodeBin3:uridecodebin3-0/GstDecodebin3:decodebin3-0/GstOMXH264Dec-omxh264dec:omxh264dec-omxh264dec0:
Failed to open decoder)

(rygel:1228): RygelRendererGst-WARNING **: 22:07:06.942: rygel-playbin-player.vala:587: Going to STOPPED state

Ok, no idea. Basically checking of you have the correct access rights for the necessary devices (I haven’t dealt with OMX for a long time) - maybe it is easier to get VLC up and running

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.