Revisiting an old crash

My saved messages from the mailing list show several posts about this over two years ago. On occasion, most commonly when expunging after having deleted messages from my inbox (mbox) I’ll get a crash, apparently due to Balsa getting confused about how many messages are actually still in the mailbox.

mailbox_mbox.c:249:message_info_from_msgno: assertion failed: (msgno > 0 && msgno <= mbox->msgno_2_msg_info->len)

Recently, I’ve had several times when Balsa started using 100% of one CPU, but remained unresponsive, requiring me to just kill the program. I just managed to run under gdb, and gdb gave me

mbox-mbox:ERROR:…/balsa-git/libbalsa/mailbox_mbox.c:249:message_info_from_msgno: assertion failed: (msgno > 0 && msgno <= mbox->msgno_2_msg_info->len)
Bail out! mbox-mbox:ERROR:…/balsa-git/libbalsa/mailbox_mbox.c:249:message_info_from_msgno: assertion failed: (msgno > 0 && msgno <= mbox->msgno_2_msg_info->len)

Thread 1 “balsa” received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
0x00007ffff26132dc in __pthread_kill_implementation () from /lib64/libc.so.6

I have the full backtrace, if it would help. (Might it be easier to attache to an Issue on GitLab?) I’m wondering if something has changed so I don’t get a full crash, but just Balsa in an uninterruptible state, but it’s really the same problem. In the earlier discussion, Albrecht was wondering if it might be a race between two threads, when messages are moved and/or deleted. I’ll try again to create a simple test case, but I’m open to any other suggestions for tracking down the actual cause.

Jack

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.