Release dates of GTK

Hello,

So I’m about to learn GTK. I found that GTK4’s documentation is not so beginner friendly, so I decided to read a book. However most of the books are about GTK+, which is GTK 2, if I understand well. I installed GTK+ and ran the gtk-demo app. The UI surprised me, which led me to the question: when was GTK+ released?

According to the book Foundation of GTK+ Development, GTK was first released in 1997. But when was GTK+ released?

I checked Wikipedia, but it didn’t mention it. I think it would be a nice to know information. So can you please tell me the dates of the main releases?

Thank you in advance

I recommend using the Getting Started tutorial on the GNOME developers documentation website.

No: GTK+ is the old name of GTK 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x. It meant “GIMP toolkit plus type system”, as opposed to the original Xt/Motif-like implementation.

For all intents and purposes, “GTK+” means “any release of GTK before 4.0”. GTK 4.0 was the first stable release that dropped the “+” from its name.

Stand alone GTK 1.0 was released in 1997; before that, it was first part of GIMP itself, then it was moved out to its own repository for a quick 0.x development cycle.

Thank you for all the clarifications and information! Just out of curiosity when was GTK+ 2.0, 3.0 and GTK 4.0 released?

From the releases table in the Wikipedia page GTK - Wikipedia

• GTK+ 1.0: 1998-04-13
  • GTK+ 2.0: 2002-03-11
  • GTK+ 3.0: 2011-02-10
  • GTK 4.0: 2020-12-16

Interesting :slight_smile: thank you so much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.