Question about @theme_selected_bg_color

Hi,

I’m trying to port a custom widget of Evince to gtk4. In fact the gtk3 version of this widget use @theme_selected_bg_color to color the text selection. The Adwaita theme of libadwaita simply renamed this named color to @accent_bg_color but the Default theme of gtk4 still use the old one. Evince is a user of libadwaita, so I can’t access @theme_selected_bg_color any more. What should I do to maintain the compatibility to the Default theme of gtk4?

Thanks

1 Like

You don’t need to maintain compatibility with the “Default” named GTK 4 theme because libadwaita will make it choose its Adwaita theme automatically, effectively bypassing the theme with the “Default” name.

That is what I mean. I found that applications linked with libadwaita are forced to use the Adwaita theme. My concern is that there is one different named color between Adwaita and Default. What should I to do to deal with the case when Evince is running under a desktop environment with custom Gtk theme which conform to the Default theme.

When GNOME 42 is released with most apps ported over to libadwaita and GTK 4 (hopefully at least), third-party GTK 4 themes will be expected to support the named colors (and accent colors). As such support for both Adwaita and Default is not something I’d strive for. GTK 3 and GTK 4 themes aren’t really compatible anyway, so theme makers will need to account for libadwaita/Adwaita if they want to get their theme working correctly with those apps when creating or porting their theme.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.