Problem with line breaks (<br>) in discourse post messages

It appears that some posts add line breaks (<br>) to each line in their posts in GNOME discourse. This is possibly done by some script to wrap around the text to 80 characters. But, this is causing issues while displaying on mobile devices.

Refer screenshot below:

Example posts containing linebreaks:

https://discourse.gnome.org/t/gnome-45-beta-newstable-tarballs-due-responsible-abderrahim-gnome-44-4-stable-tarballs-due-responsible-alatiera-gnome-43-9-oldstable-tarballs-due-responsible-jbicha-and-more/16507

https://discourse.gnome.org/t/gnome-evolution-hanging-at-startup/16480/19

Cheers!

The issue is that both kinds of messages come from the email bridge, not from the web UI. Email is considered “pre-formatted”.

The first example is generated by a script, so it should be fixable by removing the hard line breaks from the template.

The second example is a mail from a human being, and it’s the email client that adds hard line breaks. Nothing we can do from Discourse’s perspective.

2 Likes

Right. I think the template was used previously for sending emails to GNOME devel-lists, and it was used without modification here.

Should have been more clear.

The idea was to let users know that their client ( Email / editors etc ) is causing an issue, and asking them to fix it at their end. Not anything to do with GNOME discourse software ( by script I meant client side scripts [ I use a few ], not GNOME discourse backend scripts - in which case it would affect all posts ).

Thanks!

Any why was an "evolution" tag add to the topic ?

I don’t remember adding any tags when creating the topic.

Possibly mistyped something ?

The idea was to let users know that their client ( Email / editors etc ) is causing an issue, and asking them to fix it at their end.

Do not do that, it’s a dead end. People do what they can. Some are willing to make thing better for others, some are not. You’d just waste your time, believe me. Not talking that not all software can do what you want.

By the way, that you look on a certain message on a device and the content looks odd for you doesn’t mean it looks odd for the majority of the readers of the same content (possibly on a different device and/or with a different client).

It was an attempt to let users know how their messages are rendered on some devices, if they use line breaks. Whether they fix it or not is left to their choice.

Thanks for fixing line breaks in your client ( Evolution ? )

It was an attempt to let users know how their messages are rendered
on some devices, if they use line breaks.

Hi,

the thing is that they can be rendered incorrectly in other clients,
when the line breaks are not included. Not talking that some line
breaks are not added by them, but by the clients they use, due to the
lines reaching certain length, after which they are wrapped.

Whether they fix it or not is left to their choice.

As I said, those notices would be just waste of your time. You’d also
risk that the people will be upset by you. It happens too, I’ve that
experience.

Thanks for fixing line breaks in your client ( Evolution ? )

I did not fix anything, I’m sorry.
Bye,
Milan

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.