People, do you use scrolling to de/increment numbers or select dropdown options?

gnome has a “spin button” control:
input: 2012 + -
not only it has plus and minus buttons, but it also increments or decrements the value when you scroll on it.

do you use this feature? what do you think about it?

(i’m not a gnome dev but i just want to know how do people use the ui, and maybe your feedbak will be useful for gnome devs too)

Hi,

I use the scroll mostly.

My typical use of the buttons is:

• when the value immediately refreshes some other content and I want to carefully see the impact of the new value
  • broken mouses with erratic scrolls (cheap HP models, or with the wheel full of crumbles and dust)
2 Likes

I “use” it only when I try to scroll and my cursor happens to be over such a control and it ends up changing the value causing me to curse the person who ever thought up this feature while I try to remember what value was there before. In other words, I personally strongly dislike this feature and wish I could disable it :slight_smile: Same with changing tabs by scrolling too. I guess I just want scrolling to scroll. (For the record, this is 95%+ with a trackpad, not mouse.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.