OSK replacement/improvement on convertibles with touch/pen input

Dear Developers,

I hope I have found the right place to leave some ideas for improving the usage of the gnome desktop for convertible aka tablet pc’s. I am using mine during my studies.

$ inxi -M
Machine:   Type: Convertible System: HP product: HP ENVY x360 15-eu0xxx v: N/A serial: <superuser required>
           Mobo: HP model: 888A v:63.35 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: AMI v: F.04 date: 04/16/2021

$ uname -a
Linux ArchLinux 5.15.0-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Sep 26 21:53:21 UTC 2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am very impressed by the support which is implemented for this kind of cutting edge hardware in the meanwhile and after a few adjustment I have managed to make my gnome desktop a tablet version and it works great.

I also have bought a “HP Active Pen” and I was looking for a tool which can convert handwritten input to characters and I have found an application called “cellwriter” which exactly recognizes that written letters and convert it. It seems that it is the only good solution for handwritten input on PC’s since 2008.

The “[CellWriter › Wiki › ubuntuusers.de](https://ubuntu wiki page)” mentions that the onscreen keyboard was replaceable on the lock screen until it has been marked as deprecated. On the login screen there was nothing to find about this feature.

I would appreciate it if a pen input capability will be implemented in the future. maybe as a button to switch persistent between onscreen keyboard and handwritten input.

Additionally it would be very nice, if the onscreen keyboard only appears when I really need it by either swiping up or clicking the button in the task bar. Currently it pops up on any text input box even if I have focused it. Because of this I have to activate/deactivate the onscreen keyboard in the accessibility settings every time when switching between it and my hardware keyboard. I hope you can help me to make studies/work more grateful for me.

Is it possible to implement this feature? If you need further information about my usage or by testing it, I am in for this.

Best regards
Richard

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.