Notifications don't work (dunst)

Hello everyone,

I installed fedora 38 with gnome 44. Then I installed sway as window manager and I would like to use dunst for my notifications. The problem is that I have an error and I have the impression that it is related to gnome.

The error:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not activate remote peer: startup job failed.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help ^^.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

GNOME already has a notification service, provided by GNOME Shell. You cannot use another.

But in this case, I’ve installed dunst but it’s not being used, I have the impression that no notification program is running given the error and it’s normal for gnome not to work because I don’t launch it when I’m on sway.

how can i use the gnome notification system on sway knowing that gnome is not running?

The only relation to GNOME is that the program that is trying to send a notification uses GIO’s D-Bus API.

The most likely reason is that the notification daemon (dunst) isn’t running.

But no, running a non-GNOME notification daemon in a non-GNOME environment isn’t a GNOME issue.

ok thanks for your answers.
I just have one last question about the themes. I’d like to change the background with a command line. I read about gsettings and tried this command:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri=‘file:///home/lebotdufutur/Images/wallepaper/view.png’
But it didn’t work :frowning:

Right, same reason. This is the command for setting the background in GNOME, but you are running sway instead.

No I was of course on gnome when I made this command

Then you are maybe using dark style?

no, I’m on the clear theme. Why won’t the dark theme work?

Because a different background is used with “dark style”:

So you’re telling me that to change gnome’s wallpaper I have to be in dark mode?

No, I’m saying that the underlying setting is different in dark mode.

If gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface color-scheme does not return “prefer-dark”, then picure-uri is the correct key. Otherwise picture-uri-dark is used.

Ok I understand better thank you but so it’s still strange that the command did not work when I was in light mode.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.