New Gnome user, not new to linux

I’ve been using Linux in various forms for over 20 years, but had never tried Gnome 3 as I was one of the people who hated the move from Gnome2. Ubuntu’s choice of Unity didn’t help either.
Well, fast forward and I’m now sold on Gnome, specifically Fedora 40. I love the workflow of Gnome, but I have some questions.

1. It seems to me that Gnome is kind of disorganized in the settings. One main settings app, then extensions app, then the tweak app. Why all the confusion in settings. I used Cinnamon for years, and it is well thought out, but doesn’t have the workflow of Gnome?

2. There seems to be no way to manage background apps in Gnome? Am I missing something?

Every DE has it’s pros and cons, and Gnome 46 seems pretty sweet, just had some questions.

You manage background apps through quick settings in the system menu (where also quick settings for wifi, night light, dark style and such are). IIRC currently this is only available for flatpak apps.

Some settings from Tweaks have been moved into the main Settings app in a recent version or versions. Seconds and Week Numbers in the Date & Time panel are some I can recall. There may be others and more might be moved over in the future, it might just be a case of finalising a design.

Extension settings used to be in Tweaks, but got moved to a separate app, so I doubt those would be moved into the main Settings app.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.