Meson won't compile my project following a system update

Hi there,
I’m trying to learn how to build GTK apps.

I was following along the GJS GTK4 book tutorial, however my system (Fedora 39) ran a system update and now Meson will no longer compile my project.

I get this error when I try to run my application from within Builder:

ninja: no work to do.
[0/1] Installing files.

ERROR: Build directory has been generated with Meson version 1.2.3, which is incompatible with the current version 1.3.2. Consider reconfiguring the directory with "meson setup --reconfigure".
FAILED: meson-internal__install 
/usr/bin/meson install --no-rebuild
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

I’ve tried running the command meson config --reconfigure in the build directory, but it made no difference. The project still won’t compile.

I tried deleting the build directory. I tried running meson compile --clean. Neither helped. I can’t find any documentation on how to upgrade a project from one version to another. There is no file in my project that contains the string “1.2.3”.

I’m really, totally lost.

Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

This is really a Meson question.

Delete the build directory, and run meson setup again.

Thank you for your reply.

I deleted the build directory, ran meson setup build from the root directory of the project, closed and reopened Builder, and then hit “Run project” (the play icon) in Builder. I got the same error messages as before.

Sorry if this was the wrong place to ask. As Builder set up the project for me, I thought maybe this would be a good place to ask for help. Should I ask this on the Meson Matrix channel instead?

Builder maintains its own build directory within its cache dir, so deleting one that exists inside the source dir doesn’t help.

Try using ‘Rebuild’ in the build menu, which is next to the build (hammer) button.

1 Like

Builder maintains its own build directory within its cache dir, so deleting one that exists inside the source dir doesn’t help.

Try using ‘Rebuild’ in the build menu, which is next to the build (hammer) button.

This worked! Thank you so much! :tada: that makes a lot of sense.

Onwards and upwards!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.