Looking for a team?

@Bowler thanks for the info. I didn’t know I’ve to run ninja.
Anyway, the error I mentioned comes before the ninja stage (it’s
fatal; the build/ dir is created, but there is no build.ninja
inside it).

Hello my friend.

It is not your fault, the repository is missing several files, and another one that is only there for testing, will never work.
I’m almost done with part of the project, so I’ll send the new files and delete the files that are no longer needed. If you have any possibility of participating in the project contact me and I will send you the files.

Hi! Yes, absolutely, you can propose as many projects as you want/make sense. And, they can be as part of a team or solo projects! Thanks for checking!

1 Like

I might be interested.

I have limited time and energy for contributing, though. So, to be honest, I can only see myself contributing in the longer term if the project either scratches a personal itch of mine or if there’s something that’s particularly interesting either technically or conceptually.

So, I’d like to ask if you’ve got any specific (or even general) ideas for where you’d like to take the project, or how or if it would set itself apart from other budgeting or personal accounting software? What kinds of workflows or use cases do you have in mind?

I have a very superficial understanding of gtk and other GNOME APIs and perhaps intermediate proficiency in C.

Let me be “that guy” and ask the tough question: Why start yet another project from scratch vs improving Homebank, which…

• is easy to use (unlike most other apps I tried before) and has a nice native GTK UI
  • respects accounting standards
  • has many killer features that make you more productive, and great compatibility
  • is rock-solid reliable (I have yet to encounter a single data corruption/data loss problem in more than ten years of use, and I think I’ve only encountered a crash once)
  • gets better every few months
  • is exactly the same sort of technology as what you’re contemplating: C and GTK.

Unless you’re telling me you asked Maxime Doyen if he’d be interested in you helping improve the GUI with patches and he said “No, go away or I shall taunt you a second time”, I’d highly recommend improving that existing app instead of starting from scratch. You’d save yourself twenty-five years of work (I’m not exaggerating) to reach that level of quality, and have a higher chance of success.

1 Like

You may wonder, why Ubuntu if there is Fedora, why Manjaro if there is Mint, why Gnome if there is KDE, among endless questions. An old wise man once said: Diversity guarantees the survival of the species.

No I don’t. Because—with a apologies to package maintainers—packaging is much easier than writing quality software. And repackaging is even easier. You can, in fact, make your own Linux distro derivative/spin within 30-60 minutes (I’m not kidding). The fact that this is so easy is one of the reasons why we have over 600 hundred of them (the majority of which are pointless).

Historically: for legal reasons.
Nowadays: due to by completely opposed UI design philosophies.

I see no such clear-cut reason warranting the spread of efforts in the case at hand (a finances app), given the same technologies and the complexity to make quality financial software that people will rely on (finances is very much delicate/critical software in terms of reliability—you’re dealing with people’s lives or businesses there). But hey, you do your own thing, I can’t stop you. I’m just saying there are very very very very good reasons to improve an established project instead of NIH’ing a new one.

Evolution takes millions of years and countless failures. We don’t have that luxury.

Anyway, I’ve stated my case and it is not my intention to derail this thread, so I’ll shut up now.

Well according to this site it could be not that easy to contribute to Homebank (HomeBank Support | Free, easy finance software, personal money management for everyone)

I don’t need help for coding purpose. You may submit patch (or branch) for bugfix thus if you have skills to, but avoid launching yourself arbitrary alone in an enhancement (wish bug), if you do really want, contact me first.

One of the reason is that the code trunk available in launchpad is always related to the current stable release. The real development trunk is never public until RC stage, so you can’t contribute to it. I do prefer working that way for freedom of breaking thing and refactor simply.

1 Like

Hi all.
I submitted my second proposal to the project. It is about School Management System. A simple web search will tell you that there is no completely free and opensource, full-suite school management system. So why no we make it?

Along with @galetedanilo 's Finance Management System, this software-stack will be a powerful tool in school or institution premises.
The app will use Python, anyone interested in or has any idea please contact me ^^

1 Like

@j_arun_mani It would definitely be useful for school or institution. But how can it help reach a new generation of open-source coders.

1 Like

That’s a good question. I described the answer in proposal.
Since the code and bits for the project involves Python, it will be easy for beginners to get in touch. I will try my best of best to make fully-covered guides on contributing to the project, also the code layout will be neat and top-notch. The motto is, start small, land big.
You can trust me, it will be beginner friendly ^^

2 Likes

As an active developer of libgda I would suggest you check the master branch. It contains a lot of bug fixes and improvements as well as new modules. I would consider it as stable to use. We would love feedback and comments. Also, did you check GNUCash? It may be worthwhile to reach that community and discuss your ideas. It is totally possible that GNUCash would need some new look and missed features. I used it and found it pretty useful.

2 Likes

Hello my friend, I am happy to know that you are an active libgda developer. You are the right person for me to ask some questions. In the beginning, the entire database part of the financial system used libgda, but some people told me that it was not necessary to use this complexity in the system. I confess that I really enjoyed working with libgda, I tried to create code without sql, to facilitate the migration of the system from one database to another. Everything was going well, but now I have this dilemma, libgda, libxml2 or other methods. Could you give me any tips on the subject? Is it recommended to use libgda in this case?
Thank you.

This is the look of the system so far.

1 Like

IMHO, libgda will give you more flexibility. You can use SQLite3 for single user data storage or server SQLs (PostgreSQL, MySQL) if needed without any change in the code. Also using some widgets from libgda-ui you don’t need to write your own connection dialog and manage saved connections manually. libgda/lingda-ui will be able to accomplish this. Probably you will log all transactions in the SQL table and number can be significant over time. You can use common approaches of SQL to efficiently work with such data. Currently, libgda supports SQLite3, PostgreSQL, MySQL and probably others but we are in the process to write a testing code and setup CI for them.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer and congratulations to you and the team that develops this powerful library (libgda).

I was looking for a local community to learn and study about Glib and Gnome developement (in general) in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil).

I have support of local state university that can provide rooms and laboratory to held eventual meetings.

Never had any takers.

2 Likes

Hi Igor,

Thank you for your interest. There are a few other resources that might be helpful for you including our University outreach team. Please reach out to Kristi at kprogri@gnome.org

1 Like

Hello fellow devs ,
I am looking for a team . Am an IT undergrad who has been using Linux since 3 years , but sadly never contributed for it . Hoping it to be a great start : )
Lets team up !

1 Like