Items Not Displaying Correctly in GNOME Apps

Hello,

I am experiencing a display issue with the GNOME desktop environment. In several GNOME applications, such as Settings, File Manager, Software, and Extensions Manager, the items do not show up initially. However, when I hover over them, their names appear.

Interestingly, this issue does not occur when I snap the window or when the window is in full screen mode.

System Information:

• Desktop Environment: GNOME
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GT 710
  • Graphics Driver: 470xx

Issue Description:

• When I open any GNOME application (Settings, File Manager, Software, Extensions Manager), the items within the application window are initially blank.
  • Upon hovering over the blank items, their names and icons appear.
  • This issue does not occur when the window is snapped or in full screen mode.

Steps Taken to Troubleshoot:

1. Updated System: Ensured all packages are up to date.
  2. Changed Theme: Switched to different themes in GNOME Tweaks with no improvement.
  3. Reset GNOME Settings: Used dconf reset -f /org/gnome/ to reset GNOME settings to default.
  4. Checked Graphics Drivers: Verified and updated graphics drivers (using NVIDIA 470xx drivers).
  5. Disabled Fractional Scaling: Set scaling to 100% in Display settings.
  6. Disabled GNOME Extensions: Disabled all extensions via GNOME Tweaks and Extensions app.

Additional Information:

• I have encountered this issue on multiple Linux distributions, including Fedora, Ubuntu, and Arch Linux.

Despite these efforts, the issue persists. I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions on how to resolve this display problem. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue, or is there something I might be missing?

This seems to be a bug when using the Nvidia driver 470 (and older?) in combination with the new gtk renderer:

I have exactly the same issue - NVIDIA 470xx packages and a GeForce GT710. Files in particular shows blank text which appears as you pass the mouse over it. I HAD hoped there was a tweak I could apply to fix it… I am running Fedora 40.

See the first comment in the linked issue.

My bad. Workaround perfect. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.