Issues with GNOME Shell Extension on Ubuntu Budgie 22.04.3 and Chrome: Help Needed!

Hey everyone,

I’ve been facing some hurdles integrating the GNOME Shell extension with Google Chrome on my Ubuntu Budgie 22.04.03 system. The situation toggles based on whether the GNOME Shell extension is installed or not. Below is a detailed description of the problem and the steps I’ve followed in an attempt to resolve it:

Initial Problem:

Before installing the GNOME Shell extension, Chrome prompted to install it.
After installation, Chrome displays the message “Unable to locate GNOME Shell settings or version. Ensure it’s installed and running.”
Resolution Attempts:

Confirmed that chrome-gnome-shell is correctly installed.
Reinstalled chrome-gnome-shell using the command sudo apt-get install --reinstall chrome-gnome-shell.
Verified that chrome-gnome-shell is the latest available version.
Created the directory ~/.config/chrome-gnome-shell/ as suggested in some forum posts.
Followed the instructions on the GNOME Shell Integration installation page for Ubuntu, but to no avail.
Cleared the GNOME Shell cache with rm -rf ~/.cache/gnome-shell, but the problem persists.
Created a new user profile to see if the problem was related to my user profile, but the problem persists in the new profile as well.
System Information:

Operating System: Ubuntu Budgie 22.04.03
Browser: Google Chrome (latest version)
Extension: GNOME Shell Integration
Additional Information:

No related entries found in journalctl /usr/bin/gnome-shell.
No related error found with dmesg | grep gnome-shell.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions or assistance on how to possibly resolve this issue. It’s becoming quite frustrating, and I am open to further suggestions or troubleshooting steps.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and assistance.

Best regards,
Mario

Budgie is not GNOME Shell, so GNOME Shell extensions won’t work.

h, I see now. Thank you very much for the clarification. I’m new to Ubuntu Budgie and wasn’t sure about the differences. Is there a way to achieve similar functionality with extensions or applets on Budgie? Thanks again for the help

Hi, you’re going to want to ask in a Budgie-related forum. GNOME people are not going to know how to answer Budgie questions. These are different desktops. I’m afraid you are quite lost. :slight_smile:

You are right. I’ll do as you say. Thank you! Maybe in the future when I’m more experienced I’ll come back!!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.