Issue with global parasites on Gimp 2.99.18

I was planning to use a global parasite to store my Gimp 3 plugin’s data, but I can’t get Gimp.attach_parasite() to work. In my little python demo, Gimp.get_parasite_list() always returns an empty list, right after I invoked Gimp.attach_parasite() with a new parasite:

def _assert_parasite_found(parasite_name: str):
    all_paras = Gimp.get_parasite_list()
    if all_paras is None:
        raise ValueError("No global parasites, Gimp.get_parasite_list() returned None")
    if len(all_paras) == 0:
        raise ValueError("No global parasites, Gimp.get_parasite_list() returned []")
    global_para = Gimp.get_parasite(parasite_name)
    if global_para is None:
        message = "Gimp.get_parasite(\"%s\") returned %s" % (parasite_name, str(global_para))
        raise ValueError(message)

def demo_parasite_issue():
    name = "DEMONSTRATION_GLOBAL_PARASITE"
    text = "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et"
    encoded_ut8 = text.encode('utf-8')
    data_bytes = bytes(encoded_ut8)
    fresh_parasite = Gimp.Parasite.new(name=name, flags=0, data=data_bytes)
    Gimp.attach_parasite(parasite=fresh_parasite)
    _assert_parasite_found(parasite_name=name)  # ValueError is raised by _assert_parasite_found

I get screen-fulls of errors like this:
LibGimp-CRITICAL **: 17:25:20.361: _gimp_pdb_new: assertion 'GIMP_IS_PLUG_IN (plug_in)' failed. These are logged on calls to either attach_parasite() or get_parasite_list(). My test plug-in is minimal, it just creates an empty procedure. I’ve made other 3.0 plug-ins without Global parasites, and they don’t generate the above error.

I have not found any open bugs about attach_parasite() or get_parasite_list() on GIMP ISSUES, so I guess I’m doing something wrong. I have not found any docs on what I might need to setup beforehand. I have tried this code with no image open and after a creating a new one, same result.

Try using Gimp.PARASITE_PERSISTENT for the flags value in Gimp.Parasite.new. I think a value of 0 means that it is not persistent. Another flag that you can use is GIMP_PARASITE_UNDOABLE if you want the parasite to be undone with an undo action.

Wrote that late at night. Should have read your post better first. After doing some testing in both 2.99.18 and current master, your script does not fail for me. So, there might be something else wrong in your script. The critical suggest there might be an error in how you initialize your script.