Is it permitted to copy GIMP installer to other people without passing them the source code and showing them the license?

In the license of GIMP, it’s written that “For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.”

May I know is it permitted to copy GIMP installer to other people without passing them the source code and showing them the license?

I’m afraid that I’ve copied GIMP installer to other people or other people’s devices without passing them the source code of GIMP and showing them the license, is my license to use GIMP has terminated automatically?

If my license to use GIMP has terminated, may I know how to reinstate the license for me to use GIMP?

Thanks!

This part of the GPLv3 license is about if you make modifications to the GIMP source code and distribute it as a compiled program, then you must make the source code for your modified version of GIMP available as well.

If it’s an original installer downloaded from GIMP - Downloads, or the program built from the unmodified source code downloaded from there, people you share that installer with can go to the GIMP website to obtain the source code for it.

If you do Help > About in regular Gimp there is a Licensebutton that shows a dialog license information. So you distributed the license if you didn’t tamper with the code. The About dialog also contains a link to the official site form which someone can obtain the code.

So you should be good :innocent:

Hi jakedane and Ofnuts,

Thanks for your reply but the Section 6 of GPLv3 (The GNU General Public License v3.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation) states that we can only convey the object code accompanied by the Corresponding Source or with a copy of the written offer to provide the Corresponding Source.

You skipped over 6.d.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.