Ideas regarding World Clock widget in notification/calendar menu

Hello,

what really bugs me in GNOME is the “World Clock” widget in the notification/calendar menu.

Tell me if I’m wrong, but I can’t imagine that the majority of the users find that feature useful. Of course there are extensions that remove it, but I would like to know if there are people out there that also find it unnecessary, or if it is actually heavily used.

My suggestion would be to replace it with another feature from the GNOME Clocks app, e.g. that you can see all running timers. Maybe you could cycle through some views where you can see all running timers, the stopwatch, alarms and the world clocks, depending on what is actually set up or running at the moment.

Let me know your thoughts on that, maybe share some ideas or tell me that I should just use some extension to remove it :).
(I just like to limit the extensions I use to a bare minimum).

Hello @aaa!

The current direction for running timers, stopwatch and alarms is to present them as notifications, maybe at the top of the notification list.

For wold clocks, there is this mockup from 4 years ago (according to GitLab) which shows pane customization. However, this customization is not shown in this one which is 6 months old.

Are you expecting something else?

Ah ok, thanks for the answer.
So there is already some planning to improve the planner column as it is called in your sources, even if the question is how much work is currently being done on this.

To find out if there is any work in progress, you can see if there are any open merge requests in the gitlab of Settings: Merge requests · GNOME / Settings · GitLab.

You can also look at issues to see if a designer has opened one: Issues · GNOME / Settings · GitLab

With a quick search, there appears to be no work on it, but people with development skills are welcome to work on it, being aware of the following: README.md · master · Teams / Design / settings-mockups · GitLab

Tell me if I’m wrong, but I can’t imagine that the majority of the users find that feature useful. Of course there are extensions that remove it, but I would like to know if there are people out there that also find it unnecessary, or if it is actually heavily used.

My suggestion would be to replace it with another feature from the GNOME Clocks app, e.g. that you can see all running timers. Maybe you could cycle through some views where you can see all running timers, the stopwatch, alarms and the world clocks, depending on what is actually set up or running at the moment.

I absolutely never use a timer on my desktop, however it is quite handy to easily see what time is it for my friends and colleagues in different timezones, so I’d say it’s pretty useful. Also, if you don’t use world clocks, it’s just one line of text in the notifications menu, which hardly feels problematic

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.